The Dolphin House, a documentary on John Lilly and Margaret Howe's attempts to communicate with dolphins

Originally published at: The Dolphin House, a documentary on John Lilly and Margaret Howe's attempts to communicate with dolphins | Boing Boing

3 Likes

IIRC, Ecco the Dolphin was influenced by these experiments.

5 Likes

Obligatory meme 1:

dolphins

Obligatory meme 2:

13 Likes

Drunk History has done the definitive version of this story so far.

4 Likes

Fa love Pa!

3 Likes

Dang, I had some acid trips, but not with dolphins. I think…

3 Likes

A tribute to John Lilly:

1 Like

I was fascinated with Lilly when I was young until his naivete and blind spots became all too obvious, and sad. Somehow I missed the story of Margaret. How in the world did she not anticipate the downside of dolphin sex? In the end, I think the deprivation tank was the best fruit of Lilly’s research.

7 Likes

One of the strangest manuscripts ever to cross my desk was a lengthy memoir by a guy who wrote about having, shall we say, an affair with a dolphin. Sadly, I felt that I had to pass on that opportunity.

2 Likes

This deserves to be released on the internet, posthumously, lightly anonymized. I hope you still have it.

2 Likes

So was Ted Mooney’s book, “Easy travel to Other Planets”.

@Ceran_Swicegood Ted Mooney beat ya to the punch, anyway ^^’ .

I believe that it did eventually escape captivity.

Was the dolphin’s name Billy?

Same.

Writing this before watching the whole thing. I read several of his books and knew people in his circles. Prior to studying dolphins, Lilly actually had helped the CIA to put electrodes into the brains of pack mules who could then be remotely “steered” to haul weapons (and presumably drugs) over ranges that were difficult for humans to traverse.

I have a copy of this laying around, and I don’t think I’ve ever finished it, but the more I learn about Lilly, it seems like Mooney actually made the story less weird than it really was.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.