Scientists gave octopi MDMA, the results were "unbelievable"

Pot for lobsters, MDMA for octopuses - what next? Speed for clams? Heroin for sea cucumbers? PCP for abalone?

Of course, saying that obligates you to do the opposite, you know.

4 Likes

oie_cf732hLIcmEe

7 Likes

Well, only if you are a vegetarian,

Rock Lobster seems a lot sadder now.

4 Likes

"Well, I actually trust a few people. That’s a problem.” ~ Robert Redford as Joe Turner in Three Days of the Condor

3 Likes

so, wait – MDMA works for octopuses, but pot doesn’t work for lobsters? does pot work for octopuses?

1 Like

A friend was once told “I bet you have octopus hands” by his Spanish teacher.

He thought she was coming on to him.

We looked it up, and apparently it means you are grabby/handsy.:joy:

Hosted by this gentleman.

1 Like

OK, I guess I have to nerd out on you guys. The idea that the serotonin system is very highly conserved is actually kinda cool, but not terribly surprising. If you really want to get my attention, try this on comb jellies. That is about as far from us as you can get on this planet!

1 Like

Yeah, I know, OK. :slight_smile: If I leave out the boring parts, it boils down to “it worked as I’d hoped, but I discovered I hadn’t really thought the whole thing through”.

I was a teenager, so I wasn’t even considering the ethical implications of love potions, I just wanted some feminine attention. And unfortunately I also hadn’t considered the whole “makes men more aggressive to about the same degree that it attracts their girlfriends” thing.

Jason wanted more control over who he was hugging when using MDMA, I wanted more control over who was hugging me!

In theory, you are developing a hypothesis. In practice, you hypothesis may not be testable. Which does not mean it is de-testable.

1 Like

That’s why I try to leave the sciencing to the scienceguys. Sometimes the words I end up using are quite de-testable.

Welcome to the Enchantment Under the Sea Rave!

3 Likes

DOWN

DOWN

DOWN

oh man such a bad trip

3 Likes

Based on my experience with abalone I think LSD or psilocybin would be a better option

3 Likes

Two octopus experiments I’d like to see done:

1. Have two humans stage a heated argument in view of the octopus, and give each other the finger. Do this a few times. See if the octopus mimics the gesture the next time the experimenter tries to get the octopus to do something it doesn’t want to do.
  2. Let octopi watch TV from their tanks at night in the lab - a variety of programming. See if they watch and what they they watch. After a while show them a prison movie, with a scene showing prisoners banging on their cell bars with metal cups. The octopi will already have been given cups as toys in their tanks from day 1. See if they make the connection and begin banging their cups on the sides of their tanks. It would be absolutely fascinating if they did.
3 Likes

…and now I suppose we Venmo you grant money, huh?

I’m not falling for that again.

4 Likes

Jeff-Goldblum-GIF

5 Likes

Just as long as we keep the PCP away from the squid…

1 Like

The squid is already pretty strung out anyway.

3 Likes