Friendly octopus gives a hug to a human scuba diver

Originally published at: Friendly octopus gives a hug to a human scuba diver | Boing Boing

7 Likes

octopodes are cool!

16 Likes

Sorry for Pinterest link…

3 Likes

Everyone loves Canadians.

10 Likes

HP Lovecraft is not known for his appreciation of different things. He was scared of Italians.

17 Likes

I’ve been watching a lot of Cabinet of Curiosities so this freaked me out. The back tentacles coming forward was too freaky. I’ll watch this again in a few weeks for the cuteness, but not today.

5 Likes

Indeed they are!

14 Likes

Can we really be sure the octopus is not unsuccessfully trying to open the diver?

14 Likes

octopus scariest shit ever GIF

8 Likes

He wasn’t too keen on Swedes, either; and they are about as white as you can get.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t want to put test my luck finding out if the octopus was “friendly” or “hungry”.

9 Likes

Yeah. Looked more like a wine tasting to me. Take a sip, spit it out (luckily!) move on to the next buffet item. :grimacing:
Octopods are indeed very cool, but I don’t want to anthropomorphise them.
The diver really kept their cool! Chilled Chardonnay is my guess. (Canada, and all.)

11 Likes

“Hey, Jim. Look. It’s a few of those hairless monkeys from above the surface. They love hugs. Here, watch this…”

*** hug, hug, hug, hug ***

(Four times the hug cuz they have eight arms)

8 Likes

In my scuba days in Vancouver, I only ever got a look at octopus, never a hug. But friends got hugs. Octopus are really curious and will investigate, and they rarely get to touch warm-bodied things. We’re really weird and interesting to them.

They might be hungry and seeing if we’re food, but a) I never heard of people getting nibbled, and b) we’re a lot bigger than the things they like to eat.

13 Likes

Gotta say the headline made me think of nothing else so much as old Popeye cartoons.

11 Likes

Ice wine!

2 Likes

Unless it’s some really oddball model that lacks a beak I think we can be fairly sure that its intentions were friendly, or at least neutrally inquisitive.

The biomechanics of having a brutal biting structure without a skeleton to anchor it are nontrivial; but ye octopodes are clever like that.

10 Likes

He ate kelp instead of spinach that day.

4 Likes

It’s possible that octopi are more interested in humans than in other octopi, unlike us, they are not a social species.

“Bug off, Jim, this my ape-hugging patch!”

4 Likes

This book was fascinating and really explored the mind of the cephalopod. Some of them are more social than others.

8 Likes