People Magazine is making crime fashionable

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/07/people-magazine-is-making-crime-fashionable.html

4 Likes

hey there RNC! i just made a line of high fashion based on the Beagle Boys from the Donald Duck™ universe, so hand over some bucks, bitcoin, or a seat on the Supreme court

(naturally the blue caps are red and with suitable embroidery. and of course the masks cover the eyes but never the nose and mouth)

7 Likes

They’re just in line with the Age of the Scammer. I’m sure they’ll give similar coverage to Biff.

3 Likes

I wonder if they did something similar when Martha Stewart was convicted.

It isn’t too off-brand for People to report on the sartorial choices of D and K List celebrities, but really, “what she wore to arraignment” isn’t one of their better editorial choices.

1 Like

People is and always has been a trash rag that employs predatory stalkers to ruin peoples’ lives (idgaf if they’re famous or “asked for it” by being an actor; it’s fucking sick). See also: US, Star, In Touch et al.

2 Likes

And yet I pine for the times when celebrity seemed a little harder to earn.

Even the trash was better in my day.

4 Likes

Maybe they’re priming the pump, as it were. The tabloids and celebrity rags have always been in love with the guy. Make “criminal chic” a normal and not-at-all-fucked-up thing to cover now, and they can gush over Orange Julius for years while he’s locked up or under house arrest.

2 Likes

I was surprised to learn she hadn’t been deported yet. Let her take her stupid bedazzled ankle monitor with her.

2 Likes

Incarceration or other punishments never deter grifters like Delvy from trying to start a new scam. Part of the reason is that if they’re white and especially if they’re famous and/or conventionally good-looking they know that the corporate media will be there asking the public to give them a second chance. Fyre Festival Billy got the same courtesy from media outlets about his attempted comeback, and it’s guaranteed that Elizabeth Holmes will too when she gets out of stir.

2 Likes

Unrelated - I could never figure out their species. Were the Beagle Boys dogs maybe? Donald was a duck, clearly.

2 Likes

…are you sure? Because when I go to that link, I can’t read a darn thing.

3 Likes

‘Us’ magazine. Pfui. It should be ‘Them.’

4 Likes

Wow! That looks exactly like one of those pop-up, possibly virus-giving advert pages! tophat-wow

2 Likes

madness lies in a close examination of the disney cartoon species-ism

7 Likes

…Is there any reason to think that Ma Beagle and the Beagle Boys weren’t supposed to be stylized beagles, you know, as their names plainly say? Or is that the joke? :confused:

5 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes

“I’m trying to move away from this like, quote unquote scammer persona,” Sorokin, who is still in Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody, said from the Orange County Correctional Facility in upstate New York.

Crypto and NFTs are definitely the first things that come to mind when somebody says they want to move away from scamming. /s

4 Likes

From fashion crime, to fashionable criminals.

2 Likes

Confused Movie GIF

2 Likes