People walked slightly different in Medieval times

I prefer a good prance

13 Likes

I’m more inclined to saunter or possibly amble, depending on mood.

7 Likes

So is it cool if i keep walking on my toes? Will it hurt me?

2 Likes

riding

14 Likes

11 Likes

Yes. Your feet are actively trying to kill you, every day.

6 Likes

Thanks, very interesting link.

2 Likes

Your modern shoe-wearing is what’s wrong with the world. You would be healthier if you did things the medieval way. When you get over your Black Death, let’s go burn some witches.

3 Likes

This is how I walk for the most part. Less so on paved city surfaces, but I wear hikers and logging boots to keep me tilted slightly forward, and I wear out the balls of my shoes first. Always have.

It annoys me that I’ve forgotten the technical name for this type of bad faith argument.

4 Likes

You could say the same about the 1970s.

6 Likes

How do you know she is a witch?

Whatever it is doesn’t fit, because it’s not an argument. I secretly don’t care how you walk.

I want to put on
My-my-my-my-my boogie shoes!

2 Likes

Maybe not an intended one, but it does read as a dismissal (which is, in effect, an argument).

3 Likes

This is how I’ve always walked. It’s actually kind of inconvenient because it puts a lot of wear on your shoes: they simply aren’t designed for a lot of the stress to be on the ball of the foot trying to peel the front back.

Lazy post medievalist. You should try getting rid of your post-medieval technology, and live a more natural healthful lifestyle.

Well my leg is already trying to do that… or at least making me want to kill myself some days :wink:

1 Like

It would be good if blog posts like these made a little effort to index place and culture as well as time. What exactly are “medieval” or “modern” shoes? Well, obviously, that depends upon where you are. The person in the video thankfully qualified that as referring to Western Europe around the fifteenth century. There are other places where people have had structured footwear which encouraged various walking styles. My geta, for instance, require a flat foot placement, favoring neither the ball nor heel. But they also lend themselves towards a forward-leaning walk.

For a somewhat progressive US blog, BB does seem to still default to Eurocentrism at times.

3 Likes

Idle legs are the devil’s playground

2 Likes