People who identify as lucky really are different than others

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/20/people-who-identify-as-lucky-r.html

2 Likes

Showerthought: When bad things happen to bad people, we call it karma. When bad things happen to good people, we call it bad luck.

19 Likes
  • Maximize chance opportunities
    • Listen to lucky hunches
    • Turn bad luck into good
    • Expect good things to happen

Sounds like they know “The Secret”. Blech.

23 Likes

I think it’s mainly one’s attitude and willingness to put oneself out there. But i’d say the attitude plays a big part in it, i have a friend that is constantly pessimistic and seems like bad things are always happening to her. It becomes a self fulfilling prophesy that more bad things will happen.

8 Likes
This experiment is designed to help the reader understand the role of thought and belief in structuring the universe. Whatever it is that you think, your mind will immediately set about proving—the existence of God, the sovereignty of the American President, or any number of conspiracy theories. Your mind will find proofs of those things everywhere
8 Likes

Do these same people reap the mystical benefits of being able to turn loose, subjectively constructed correlation into causation? What a coincidence…

11 Likes
6 Likes

I am not sure who “we” supposedly are, but karma basically means action. It says that you did something, rather than a value judgement about what you supposedly deserve. Like causality, it is value-neutral.

3 Likes

People who identify as anything are different than others!

13 Likes

and yet, also typical. Almost like identity isn’t about other people.

8 Likes

Well it stands to reason that people who THINK they are lucky are more likely to take chances. And probably happier than people who think that the universe is conspiring against them. Neither view really changes the indifference of the universe to our existence or success IMHO.

Edited to add

9 Likes

I meant “karma” in the popular sense of the word as in “Karma’s a bitch,” which for the record is not a phrase I typically use or endorse :wink:

1 Like

People well prepared for disappointment and with more than one acceptable outcome (or no preconceptions), are lucky indeed.

Someone once told me the one little trick to finding a 4 leaf clover.

6 Likes

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I consider myself lucky because I trapped a leprechaun and ate its marshmallow heart in order to absorb its powers.

20 Likes

It’s easy. Finding a four-leaf clover is luck.

But a four-leaf clover also brings you luck.

So, in order to find a four-leaf clover, you first find another four-leaf clover, which will make you luckier, and then you’ll be lucky enough to find another clover, with the cycle repeating ad infinitum.

10 Likes

I subscribe to the Outliers notion, that much of “luck” is being in the right place at the right time. The luckiest thing I ever did would not have been possible even 6 years later, and I would not have been able previously. Yes, I made a choice others did not, but there was a lot more to it. I’m generally a pretty pessimistic person.

6 Likes

If you know what they look like, leave the house, and look for them, then it is all luck.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Many years ago, I watched some sort of televisions puff piece about luck, and it featured a “lucky” person, and an “unlucky person”. At the end, they performed a highly scientific experiment by having each one guess the result of coin flips. The “lucky” person got around 50% correct. The “unlucky person” got 10% correct. That has always stuck with me.

1 Like

re: Pronoia

There was a charming 1948 science fiction story “Narapoia” which is a case history of a man who claims that others are plotting to do good things for him and has a delusion that he is following someone. The story has a cute twist ending.

http://katie.rivard.org/woodv/narapoia.shtml

4 Likes