Pepsi is buying SodaStream

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/20/pepsi-is-buying-sodasteam.html

2 Likes

Semi-relevant funny kid video:

9 Likes

To be expected.

They saturated the pop market.
They saturated the bottled water market.
They saturated the flavor drops to turn water into pop market…

6 Likes

Makes sense. You can tell when a product is worth investing in when it shows up in SkyMall.

And by investing, I don’t mean buying it. I mean, investing in the company, because they are great at separating fools from their money.

3 Likes

SodaStream’s products, marketed as a healthy alternative to sugary sodas…

Not just marketed; I would think they are healthier. Isn’t that how high fructose corn syrup works?

3 Likes

We have a SodaStream and use it all the time. I’ve never felt particularly foolish for it.

7 Likes

I’ve had a SodaStream since they first came out. It wore out a few months ago after years of service. It’s a pity the company is being sold. It was known for being a great workplace for both its West Bank and Israeli employees. I’m sure that production will now be moved to Pakistan or Vietnam.

3 Likes

@pesco

Pepsi is buying SodaSteam

Title needs an edit, unless this is an idea for a carbonated spa experience.

6 Likes

Seconded. When I stopped calculating, I was down to less than CDN$1 per bottle of water. I put out way less recycling. I drink less alcohol because I have a fun, not-sweet, and easy alternative.

5 Likes

I’m sure this had nothing at all to do with pepsi being directly threatened by SodaStream’s cheap-to-manufacture patents on carbonating water/other stuff. Nope.

7 Likes

Really? It must have been something like 40-50 years old now.

If you still had a working vintage sodastream it would be pretty cool.

4 Likes

5 Likes

This means nothing good for fans of sodastream, as is tradition.

2 Likes

I’m sure their reasoning is true, and has nothing to do with Pepsi (and Coke)'s habit of acquiring anything in the marketplace that represents competition. I fully believe Pepsi when they say they want to make healthier products.

I say this, fully aware that the Pepsi in front of me is eating its way through the glass, so I’d better hurry up and drink it.

3 Likes

Sodastream is a wonderful alternative to lugging cases of fizzy water from the store. It’s not really a good way to save money because everything sodastream, CO2 canisters and syrups, is sold for artificially high prices, but you’re not paying more than you would at the store.

OTOH, if you use juice or some other DIY flavour in your fizzy drink and buy an adapter that lets you use paintball canisters in your sodastream, then it’s a very hefty savings over store bought fizzy beverages.

5 Likes

Tell me more. Because

Is exactly why they are taking people for fools. This is a major part of their advertising. I’ve actually never seen one of their ads claiming health benefits.

5 Likes

buy an adapter that lets you use paintball canisters in your sodastream

You don’t need a Sodastream for that:

https://www.amazon.com/Baskiss-Siphon-Making-Sparking-Cocktail/dp/B075GNKZZG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1534795795&sr=8-5&keywords=seltzer+bottle

4 Likes

Took it from my parents’ basement when I went to college

1 Like

What part of “you aren’t paying more than you would at the supermarket and you don’t have to carry all those heavy bottles home” did you not understand?

There’s nothing whatsoever foolish about just using a sodastream as intended and paying full price for the syrups and canisters, in order to increase your convenience and reduce the amount of recycling you have to deal with. I pay full price for my Sodastream CO2 because I can walk to the store that carries the canisters, unlike the stores that will fill empty CO2 canisters for a nominal fee. I pay full price for the syrup because I live in Canada, which means that options for buying cheap fizzy beverage syrups online are pretty much nonexistent. For someone living without a car and depending on transit, the extra cost of the canisters and the syrup is not that huge compared to the added convenience.

For those who live in the US and/or have easy access to restaurant supply stores, there are ways to reduce your cost substantially.

6 Likes

Wondering if Pepsi will keep all the SodaStream manufacturing plants, including the one taken from Palestinian towns and two Bedouin tribes?

4 Likes