Pepsi is buying SodaStream

Are you asking the guy who bought that Canadian cannabis company stock that Corona’s parent just dumped 4 billion in? Cannabis infused beer, how can that miss. Last September I bought around $9. Pushing $40 this week.

About 38ish years ago, as part of my homebrewing hobby, I bought some empty soda tanks (the old 5 gallon twist-lock stainless steel cans I believe originally used for syrup) and a 15lb tank of CO2, some fittings, and had a setup that could carbonate 5 gallons of water-based liquids at a time. I used it for beer for a while, allowing me to force-carbonate a batch and, as desired, bottle it or just dispense from the tank. Then I realized I could carbonate anything else, and now even though I don’t homebrew much any more, I always have a few gallons of carbonated water on hand. And it is really, really carbonated, much more so than any commercial soda I’ve had.

I think the entire setup, CO2 tank, hoses, regulator, tap, liquid tank was about $80 in 1990 dollars. When the soda distributors switched from tanks of syrup to boxes, I picked up a few more of the tanks, seals, and so on – not even sure if they’re still being made. A full bottle of CO2 lasts hundreds of tanks – I think I’m on my third refilling, but that was over a decade ago.

When Sodastream became popular, I tried a friends, but decided I preferred my setup – it was already paid for, and is rock solid even after so many years. I’ve never really been much of a soda fan, though, so I only drag it out when I feel like some bubbly water nowadays.

1 Like

It’s easy enough to make your own gingerale. Here’s the recipe I make:

1 Like

Question: Is it possible to freeze soda water? I used to go to this place that served complimentary glasses of water and ice that was bubbly. Seemed like the ice was fizzy too.

Nope. Well… “Possible” yes but it doesnt work as expected.

Also as a general protip: DO NOT try to carbonate coffee with a Soda Stream.

1 Like

First hand experience? After reading this I realized there are no carbonated coffee drinks (that I know of). Is it a chemical reaction or just not good?

1 Like

When I lived in NYC I really liked this espresso soda called Manhattan Special. Figured I’d try to replicate that. It is super sweet strong espresso and VERY carbonated.

My first few tries were harmless but not bubbly enough. So I went and charged the bottle just a bit more. Somehow when I released the bottle it was nearly explosive and my walls & ceiling were covered with coffee and four knuckles on my left hand were bruised so badly I could barely move them for a week.

Never had a reaction that strong from charging up water more than usual.

Stapj makes a really nice, although very sweet, carbonated coffee drink. You can also get nitro-infused cold brew. Starbucks does one, it’s okay, but if you go somewhere that really does it well, it’s like if the best coffee you had and a pint of Guinness had a very chilly baby together.

1 Like

Had me at Guinness, coffee, and seltzer. I will try one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.