Pepsi plans to use cubesats to display ads in the night sky

Wow. Pepsi-Cola (aka Nench-Kona in those funny Russian letters) has a strange history in Russia…

7 Likes

When corporations collide:

8 Likes

Until next year, when they’ll get a bunch more people to mindlessly share that Onion article on Face$@&k again, and reap even for free advertising from suckers.

1 Like

That’s just what the patriarchy wants you to hope, man.

Sounds good, although you probably don’t realize all that they sell:

2 Likes

This will never happen - it’s the ultimate NIMBY.

Full disclosure: I am drinking a Pepsi.

4 Likes

I guess not anymore…

4 Likes

Let’s give Pepsi a little slack.
After all, if people stop drinking sugar-water it might disappear.

6 Likes

Could they not? That would be great, thanks.

3 Likes

with capitalism being obsolete and all shouldn’t this story have run in pastism?

Pepsi also contribute massively to ecocide through their consumption of palm oil.

6 Likes

Not exactly. Heinlein’s protagonist was actually kickstarting space exploration and colonization of other planets – not a bad thing.

Pepsi is just trashing the commons. Even if these things have very short orbital lives, they’re going to screw up a lot of continuing observations. I hang out with a lot of astrophysicists and astronomers. This is … not going to be well received, dare I say?

6 Likes

I definitely remember an April fool’s news broadcast a few years ago about projecting advertising on the moon.

1 Like

Wait, April 1st has passed. It doesn’t appear to be an Onion article, I can’t find any similar articles on Snopes.com debunking this. I’m running out of hope that this isn’t a sick joke and that it might be real. I can only hope the backlash is so large and world wide that Pepsi hemorrhages money for years to come from the boycotts and general dislike of the brand because of this BS marketing stunt. On the plus side it will probably encourage a whole generation of young Hacklings to learn how to break into satellites with software defined radios and high powered antenna arrays on their roofs.

7 Likes

I was surprised to learn that FuckPepsi.com was available.

Now it isn’t. I might accept donations to help fund the site…

16 Likes

Go back and read Isaac Asimov’s short story, “Buy Jupiter”.

5 Likes

It’s so easy to make a mistake though:

12 Likes

It’s 100% “real”. A Russian marketing douche came to Pepsi and said, “I can make all the stupid people in the world spend an entire day talking about Pepsi. If I succeed, give me a million dollars.”

Now he has a million dollars.

Pro-tip: now you know that you don’t need to waste your time clicking on links from “Futurist”.

11 Likes

Sadly it’s a lot harder to do yonic graffiti. Could you design a simple line art drawing that makes someone go “Ha, a vulva” ? :wink:

3 Likes

With the testicles. Mustn’t forget the testicles.

Muy importante.

3 Likes