Perfect explanation of the iconic "James Bond Chord"

Originally published at: Perfect explanation of the iconic "James Bond Chord" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Actual lolz irl, nice one.

13 Likes
19 Likes

It’s like I’m watching a movie.

6 Likes

I would totally go see a Geordie James Bond. Any gender, any complexion.

11 Likes

That wiznit a Geordie, hoo.

5 Likes

I know.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

8 Likes

Apparently, he refused to sign up for a role that would mean he had to “do the posh accent” for more than one film…

7 Likes

The last two seconds!
I mean, all of it was excellent tech, but the last two seconds was just cheeky bollocks.

2 Likes

Soooooo… what was the chord?

1 Like

It’s an Emin/maj9, and a lot of fun to play on a guitar.

2 Likes

Apparently, it’s 5 notes, and impossible on my ukulele. :frowning:

1 Like

Play a damned augmented triad. Voila! “James Bond chord!”

1 Like

So the notes are E, G, B, D#, and F#

Sometimes with a chord that’s too many notes you can get away with omitting some. I would usually recommend starting with removing the 5th (the B) and seeing that sounds. (The 5th is the same between the major and the minor, wheras the 3rd differs. So removing the 3rd makes it ambiguous but the 5th doesn’t). You need to keep the F# in because that’s what gives the maj 9th sound. (Note: it’s been a solid decade since I studied theory or played backing rhythm for anyone, so, ymmv)

If you’re playing with a bass or keyboard you can probably count on them to cover the root in which case you can omit the E. I tried a few different variations and honestly most of them sound pretty recognizable

7 Likes

Ok I was not expecting to laugh that hard

1 Like

Pretty sure, at least from what I have learnt it also has the 13th, so a C#. If you play guitar just use the open position B7 shape but lower the finger on the 3rd string down to the 2nd string, enjoy the Bond goodness.

Daniel Craig played Geordie Peacock in Our Friends in the North.

Hair abounds

Even Mark Strong has hair.

4 Likes

The original James Bond theme came from an unusual song about an unfortunate sneeze.

5 Likes

Either wrong thread or I just don’t get it.

Wrong thread! Sorry - too many tabs open

1 Like