PETA frees animal crackers from their cages

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/21/peta-frees-animal-crackers-fro.html

3 Likes

Whew. Thank god printed animals on a box may now roam free. :roll_eyes:

Are the animal crackers still free to roam and… “Get in mah belly!”?

17 Likes

How is this not an Onion article?

Oh, PETA, that explains it.

14 Likes

That’s what I said to my lunch.
3keXNnU

10 Likes

I don’t think in my childhood I ever associated Animal Crackers and the Circus…it was always the Zoo in my mind.

7 Likes

I made the circus connection but mostly because of Dumbo; I don’t think any actual circuses have transported animals in brightly painted rail cars for generations.

7 Likes

Well, this is… impractical.

7 Likes

I usually roll my eyes right outta my head when PETA does/says/proclaims anything - but I can get behind this one. A simple change, good publicity for the cookie people, better message about animal captivity, doesn’t seem to make anything actively worse. Four stars.

21 Likes

Yes, but they’re cookies.

In any case, Pepperidge Farm remembers.

12 Likes

25 Likes

Does it still have the string, or was that eliminated due to budgetary constraints?

Missing from the article, but on the wiki:

Later in 1902, the now-familiar box was designed for the Christmas season with the innovative idea of attaching a string to hang from the Christmas tree. […] About 15,000 cartons and 330,000 cookies are produced in a single shift, using some 30 miles (48 km) of string on the packages. This runs to nearly 8,000 miles (13,000 km) of string a year.

I dimly recall reading long ago (somewhere on randi.org, whose old archives are not easily plumbed) a tale of an alarmed woman seeking counsel from her rabbi due to the string comprising mixed fabrics, or something.

4 Likes

Eye rolling aside, the art is better now, though.

Even as a kid it always seemed … perfunctory.

(Yes, I am the kind of artist who will think about box art to candy and cereal.)

9 Likes

But there are no animal babies now! Why does PETA hate the babies?

3 Likes

Tell that to the poor mountain gorilla who is now going to have to fight for survival in the open savanna. What’s next, releasing freshwater goldfish crackers into the open ocean??

14 Likes

The lion has already gotten to them.

The zebra is feeling a bit nervous, too…

5 Likes

No no no PETA! Those cages were to protect the animal crackers from the maniacs!

4 Likes

Pixar made reference to them too:

1 Like

The string was to make it a Christmas ornament? I always thought it was a handle to carry the container around like a lunchbox.

6 Likes

I like how the new design slightly recalls Elvis Costello’s Armed Forces.
SY400

6 Likes

10 Likes