PETA frees animal crackers from their cages

Oh no, you silly man, you can’t eat them! Animal crackers are now totems for honoring one’s spirit animal.

6 Likes

I got “Circus” from the half wheel design on the bottom edge of the box. When I was a kid at least, the wheel on the bottom left wasn’t covered with the nutrition info graphics. I feel like there may have been commercials from the ’70s involved as well, but I can’t find any on YouTube.

With this change, instead of kids pretending they are owners of a struggling circus that have been forced to eat the animals or starve, they can pretend they are poachers murdering their way through the cookie Serengeti in search of elephant tusks, rhino horns and gorilla pelts.

Speaking as a fat American who worked hard to get that way, I prefer my animal crackers to be cookies coated with frosting and little sugar beads:

Image result for animal cookies

If they can still walk after that process, they can roam as freely as they would like.

15 Likes

Now when the box is opened, only a few fat lion cookies are left.

12 Likes

I think it may also be because I ate those boxed ones when I was real little. We bought these for our kids over the last 18 years…

2 Likes

I never realized just how miserable that giraffe must be on the old box art.

4 Likes

They still don’t taste anything like animals.

8 Likes

Came here for this, leaving satisfied.

5 Likes

Why you lion sack of…

2 Likes

The Grandma’s brand of those are delicious!

2 Likes

It lasted you 18 years?

2 Likes

Like there’s ever any left after you first dive in? eyeroll

Nom nom nomm

1 Like

Technically, those are “Circus Wagons” not railcars. Although them might be transported ON flatbed railcars, they were never intended for use on railroad tracks. Animals were actually transported from place to place in more prosaic rail cars. Redirect Notice

1 Like

Um, kids don’t want to go to the circus anymore so maybe Nabisco is changing their packaging to reflect that instead of pleasing animal rights activists?

2 Likes

Sadly “:notes: Casey Junior’s coming down the highway :notes:” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

2 Likes

He is a good source of calcium, after all.

Good thing PETA never uses caged animals in its publicity materials.

2 Likes

s-l300

The background in the old box art looks like pinstriped wallpaper.

2 Likes

People Eating Tasty Animals !

2 Likes

I’m fine with this. It’s nice.

Also:
“I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it Do not eat if seal is broken. So I opened up the box, and sure enough…” --Brian Kiley

16 Likes

The circus wagons were for the parade! Throw a parade in every small town you set up in, and people will buy tickets. I vaguely recall a couple of circus parades when I was a small child, and now I feel very old.

5 Likes

Seems to me like a very contrived way to say “Look, we designed our packaging! Can we make the news somehow?!”