Dog-eating festival in China causes global outrage

[Read the post]

But… dog fricassee!!!

One viable solution really. Stop buying goods made in China.

Dog fetishism in the US disgusts me. We have cow and chicken festivals in the US all the time and we eat those animals. What’s the difference. Just seems like cultural snobbery to me. Global outrage? Sounds like hyperbole to me.

21 Likes

I agree. I am a vegetarian and cannot understand this type of hyper-specific outrage. In fact, I may be far less upset by this than the average population. This kind of thing, and much worse, is routinely happening to millions of just as conscious, aware and intelligent animals all over the world.

EDIT: upon further reading the festival seems to involve overly violent and torturous acts that have nothing to do with rational meat preparation or slaughtering.

8 Likes

wait, poisoned? Is that a good idea to do an animal you’re about to eat?

18 Likes

Who wants to eat the dog, finds the sticks.

Seriously, where’s the problem? Aren’t they made of meat?

7 Likes

It appears that if you eat enough cows, chickens, turkeys, goats, lambs and pigs, you become irony-deficient.

20 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. This, combined with the “stolen from people’s homes” makes my bullshit detector start blinking rapidly. More likely we’re seeing a “ferners iz weeerd” reactionary response to what would be perfectly acceptable if it were the local 4H using what “normal” people thought of as food animals.

7 Likes

I too am annoyed by the hypocrisy. If pets being stolen is a problem, try to stop the thefts, but don’t condemn people for eating meat that you don’t eat.

I love dogs that have been raised as pets, but I’ve also seen caged dogs in food markets; they’re no more sentient and reactive to human contact than cows or pigs raised in similar conditions.

5 Likes

What’s so special about dogs? Are they more self-aware than pigs? maybe less self-aware?

I object to eating other apes, dolphins, whales, crows, self-aware octopodes, etc. and to further depletion of the ocean ecosystems. I don’t understand why someone would specifically object to eating dogs, unless, for example, they generally object to eating all animal life.

3 Likes

We need to keep our noses out of other peoples cultures. We have gotten into nothing but trouble with that in the past. Focus on human rights and let them eat whatever they damn well please; just like us!

1 Like

4 Likes

The outrage seems to be over the fact that the dogs they are eaten are stolen pets? Which seems something worth having outrage over, I think, and if true is likely due to the spike of demand from the festival.

Assuming its true at all, of course.

3 Likes

That solution not only makes no causal sense, but is also pretty much impossible to put into practice.

How about this, instead: Stop participating in a culture predicated on the torture and killing of animals, and then you’ll at least be ethically consistent when you get all outraged that someone has decided to do that to the arbitrary set of animals you’ve decided are too precious to be subjected to that treatment (and, at best, you’ll be contributing to a culture that doesn’t subject any animals, including your arbitrary group of especially precious ones, to that kind of treatment).

2 Likes

We’re Americans! We reserve the right to be stupid, fat, hypocrites right up until we die of a coronary, diabetes, or a bullet in the head from someone ‘standing their ground.’

4 Likes

As a person who is not running for office, consistency isn’t something I care much about. I’m a deeply flawed person and I have come to accept and embrace, even celebrate, my own internal inconsistencies.

My selection of animals to not eat is hardly arbitrary however. Any animal that has once demonstrated love, affection, kindness, and fair play in my presence gets a free pass from me for their entire species. Animals that fail to do so are fair game for food in my view.

But, more to the point, how does not spending my money on goods from a country which allows activities which I deem morally reprehensible make no causal sense? And how is that simple thing pretty much impossible to put in to practice? After all, it’s a strategy that people have employed since the beginning of commerce.

edit to add: BTW, did I express any outrage at all? Or is that just the straw you stuff your scarecrow with?

2 Likes

I’ll trim the quote there because I wholeheartedly agree with this bit. I practice what I like to call Economic Vegetarianism, which is to say I don’t buy meat from or engage in activities that contribute to the economies of factory farming and practices cruel to animals. Or at least I try. I’m not anti-meat, I’m anti-cruelty.

The problem with the dog festival is that there are certain cultural practices that maintain the idea that the more a dog suffers before being slaughtered, the better the meat. I have heard stories of dog’s legs being broken right before they are killed, cooked, and served.

I abhor this no less than the dudes at the Tyson chicken farms who were smashing live birds into walls and stomping on them to kill them. It’s not about being anti-Chinese, it’s about ethics in food production.

11 Likes

What I find troubling about the outrage is that my Chinese friends are angry not because they think eating animals is wrong, they are embarrassed because it seems backward and it is the thing that foreigners make fun of. “New China” is supposed to be fancy, therefore must go the way the rich countries are at. The anger by Chinese is essentially fueled by external standards rather than moral discussions.

7 Likes

Good point. It reminds me how at one time only a few progressive countries viewed slavery as backwards and wrong. Then people in countries where slavery was legal and who wanted to be considered modern, let external standards fuel their anger that their own country still allowed such barbaric practices.

It’s definitely troubling when the world points out things taking place in your country which they see as immoral and then people living in your country agree with them. It’s horrible…