Peter Thiel claims AI is "Leninist" and "literally communist" in a sprawling speech for a think tank

Sometimes it feels synonymous with sociopath

He’s as politically sophisticated as Trump. Which means none, none sophisticated.

1 Like

Thank you. I could not find words to describe his level of assholism.

1 Like

Seriously, this is the guy that founded Palantir to do all that domestic spying shit that we dived into in our post 9/11 hangover.

The word prick and asshole really doesn’t even begin to describe this Ayn Randian fucknut.

7 Likes

The Tolkien estate stopped TSR from using Hobbit as a race name, so why can’t they shut Theil down?

6 Likes

This is not true. Beer ended up getting pretty personally invested in the project, as well as much of it was built by Chileans themselves. Eden Medina’s Cybernetic Revolutionaries is a really good account of Cybersyn, and while it doesn’t claim it would have worked, it does argue it was a serious attempt to grapple with economic planning. For example, its telex network did allow the Allende government to coordinate logistics to defeat a trucking company owners strike.

3 Likes

Isn’t Leninism still class based? He should be all for it.

Just the two words think and tank together is funny. I, however, prefer the phrase brain bucket. Peter Thiel has nothing to do with either of the phrases, IMO. He’s more like a void vault.

2 Likes

Of all the startups that cashed big, is there another that approaches the oligarch douchebag to founder ratio of Paypal?

3 Likes

My point is that the famed Cybersyn environment depicted, with its James T. Kirk style chairs, buttons, and display screens, was just a mockup, and nothing I’ve read has said anything else. A “telex network” sounds impressive if one doesn’t know that just is referring to a type of remote printer developed in the 1930s. I’m sure they could be used to coordinate things, but no more so than a telephone.

And then the CIA installed Pinochet, and gifted him with libertarian theorists.

Poor Chile: America’s test tube. (Not that anyone seems to have made lab notes.)

2 Likes

Yes, the control room never got out of a mock up stage before the coup, but it was only a part of a larger system. Due to the US embargoing computer technology, Chile made use of the less advanced telex machines to do some impressive stuff in production planning. Economic planning isn’t just about technical capability, its about political will to reorganize society along different lines.

2 Likes

“Advocates of capitalism are very apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate.”

– Bertrand Russell

6 Likes

Well, who would know that better than a guy who founded a company that does exactly what he’s describing, and called it “Palantir?”

2 Likes

Headline really should have been:

Peter Thiel says Working Communism can be Achieved in Our Lifetimes.

2 Likes

for some reason thiel reminds me of this–

http://harmful.cat-v.org/people/basic-laws-of-human-stupidity/?fbclid=IwAR3Mg5DA3nY_EMoa9_aJ5DQg479LSQCaDp47Hsm7uprbUsuN0pxE3vR9nAA

especially with respect to the second law, although others apply.

1 Like

I believe that thesis to also be in accord with Gump’s First Maxim, “Stupid is as stupid does”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.