Pfizer/BioNTech reports COVID-19 vaccine is "100% effective" in adolescents

Turns out having a greasy car salesman who is willing to get in bed with literal Nazis as a government leader isn’t so great in times of crisis.

I’m ashamed of being in the same generation as him every time I see him.

2 Likes

Depends on the county, but a pretty substantial portion of Californians live in counties that are currently in the “orange” tier, which allows quite a bit to be open.

1 Like

We live in a very rural area, hence nothing is open, even in normal times. We got the usual fast food poison, and of course StarPukes. Some Mom & Pops have survived, but not many. HomeDepot & grocery stores are our only regular outing. Oh joy…

2 Likes

So you’re saying the placebo was also 100% effective in preventing deaths? Was it just saline, or maybe holy saline? We should start marketing this stuff…

Yep. Down here in the OC (where we still have not so great, but improving numbers), everything’s starting to open up again. But, I waited out getting a vaccine arguing that grocery store workers and uber drivers had more exposure, and thus more priority than I did, but now that it’s going to turn into a free for all soon with shitty organization, I just went directly to CVS’ website and made myself an appointment for this weekend.

Yay group 1b status!

1 Like

For sure, shotgun your signups, too. My health network is on 65+ still, the state health department just pinged me today that MyTurn will be soon, but our county opened up a new group last week, and my first jab was yesterday.

They did placebo for the safety side of the study, not the efficacy side. If they were doing a efficacy study with placebo would have required a much larger sample size and time. Note that it required 30,000 adults, 15,000 in each group, to establish efficacy for adults. It required that many to make sure they had a strong signal to noise ratio.

There are not enough kids enrolled in the study to have enough data points to get meaningful results in any reasonable amount of time. In fact, because kids are even more likely to be asymptomatic, it might even require more kids than adults to show efficacy using a placebo control group.

So while they gave some kids a placebo, that data was not used to prove “100% effective” in adolescents.

Our state has a signup website that’s complex, intrusive, and as far as I can tell has done very little. None of the states seem to have much organization, but here’s the thing: if you take responsibility for your own health instead of waiting for the state to contact you, you can get the vaccine in a week or less. All you have to do is check with vaccination sites for open appointments.

There are independent websites (such as vaccinefinder.org) that are scraping multiple vaccination web sites periodically, looking for available appointments. If you use a site like that, you may have to drive a few hours, but you can probably book an appointment within a day or two.

1 Like

Thanks good doobie for the info, we are all set over here in Joshua Tree, Cal.

1 Like

bad reporting then because here’s what npr said today about it

Well, as you said, there were about 2,300 children - 2,260 to be precise… And they decided there were enough cases to let the company unblind the study to see who got what. And all 18 cases were in the placebo group, none in the vaccine group. So at least from this study, the vaccine was 100% effective in preventing disease.

1 Like

Can’t wait for the next odd-numbered day on a waxing gibbous moon so lefties with IBS will finally qualify for their shot.

There does seem to be some conflicting information. The report I read said the effective rating was based on blood work, not who did/didn’t get sick. Even the Pfizer press release is vague.

Who knows, maybe the report I read was wrong. But it’s exceeding difficult to demonstrate 100% with attribute sampling. The attribute sampling table I’m looking at says you need a sample size of over 9000 to have 95% confidence of the actual rate with an error of 1%.

So I’ve had what the first report stuck in my head as correct (which I can’t find, dammit).

If anyone is wondering what I’m going on about, try this quick experiment: Flip a coin 5 times. Calculate the percentage heads vs tails. Congrats! Your data now proves your coin is not 50/50. That percentage calculation is precisely the same math as saying the vaccine is 100% effective if no kids got sick. Turns out a different math is needed: statistics.

1 Like

Ohio had a mixed rollout. If you got in before the last group and had at least the tech skills common on this forum, it was manageable. After the last stage opened, it was really easy if you had internet skills and were a former patient of either the OSU medical center or the county hospital in Cuyahoga county. If not, it is a nightmare. Even the federally backed mass vaccination site in Cleveland is maxed out at capacity, and they are pushing through 6,000 people a day. Everyone else is stuck reaching out to every pharmacy on the list and repeating when they reach the end. Unfortunately it looks like they are moving away from the mass vax sites and moving towards the retail model, so I don’t have a lot of hope for my friends. Biden admin remakes vaccine strategy after mass vaccination sites fizzle - POLITICO

1 Like

I suspect that this result speaks more to the power of the study than anything. Absolutely nothing in medicine is 100%. That said, it is very encouraging and I persist in my belief that by early 2022 we will be vaccinating 6 mos and up, and it will change the whole complexion of this mess. I try not to think to hard about the residual mess that will be with us for years to come, though.

5 Likes

Hang in there, the Ides of April comes with a waxing gibbous!

1 Like

As far as I am concerned, he actually has far less charisma than any car salesman I can imagine would need to be successful. Never understood his appeal. But then again, I can often say the same about things that seem to appeal to large numbers of people.

1 Like

I’m with you. I just see absolutely no redeeming features in him. I never understood how he sold himself as the dream son in law. Who would want their daughter to marry a sleazy guy like that? But then Austrian society is so right wing on a whole it’s alien to me anyway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.