Pfizer vaccine likely to be approved for for kids 5-12 by early winter

So what’s the problem with a simple cloth mask on your face that you can make at home? Apparently that’s also evil and we can’t possibly force children to protect themselves this way, either?

12 Likes

How else would you get data on children? Are you against other studies on children to test other potentially life-saving medications?

For that matter, if children can’t consent as such, is it ever ethical to give medication to a sick child?

8 Likes

Sure. Better to let them die rather the enroll them in a trial. /s

10 Likes

Some conspiracy theorists bring up the Tuskegee Experiment as precedent for an imagined sinister plot for the Covid-19 vaccine, but if you spend even a few moments considering the differences between those situations it kind of falls apart.

• The researchers in the Tuskegee study weren’t infecting anyone with new bioagents. They were secretly denying medical treatment to men who had already been infected with Siphylis.
  • The nature of the study was only possible to keep secret because it was limited in scale. It didn’t require a global conspiracy involving most of the world’s best medical minds.
  • The researchers didn’t involve themselves or their loved ones in the study, because even a morally bankrupt researcher wouldn’t want to see a family member suffer and die needlessly just to get another data point.

If the Covid-19 vaccines were part of a sinister conspiracy to harm public health then what would be in it for the researchers? “Let’s get everyone sick!” is a motive for poorly fleshed out supervillains, not actual doctors.

15 Likes

It’s easier to blame it on Black people, who actually have legitimate reasons to mistrust the government, than to admit that we have a problem with a minority of white people who are attempting to end democracy as we know it. After all, white people are never to blame… /s

12 Likes

First, yes, like all research in pediatrics, the parents consent for the child. That strategy has lead to pediatric leukemia going from a death sentence to 80% cure rate, 24 week premies routinely leaving the NICU with their parents, and now a vaccine for covid. Second, what is your alternative? Kids can’t consent, so we don’t do research into cures for pediatric illness and just figure they die, but they have their freedoms intact? I am very confused as to what your position is here.

19 Likes

Fuck, yeah! That’s some good, encouraging stuff. I need to be reminded of this stuff more often.
Thanks. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

And, as you know so well, just like nearly all medical care for children!

We signed up for a trial, after much discussion, including with our kid, research from reputable places, and talking with our kid’s doc. We weren’t selected but we were willing and our child understood how it would work and at least some of the risks, we did our best with preschooler. I expect it was much the same for all the parents involved in these vaccine studies.

I’m on board with the AAP and every pediatrician I’ve spoken with- we need these vaccines soon.

13 Likes

Let em die is excellent parenting.

8 Likes

I buy all my vaccines from the mom and pop vaccine shop down the block.

10 Likes

As a Black person in America, of course I distrust the government in general… nevertheless, I still went and got fully vaccinated.

I consider it a matter of risk assessment, and I tend to think that the risk of dying a needlessly horrible death is one that I want to minimize as much as possible.

18 Likes

4 Likes

Shouldn’t you just be getting your vaccines straight from nature… like, go lick a covid or something?

11 Likes

As an urban forager; I collect my vaccines from the Stinko trees and dumpster fungus.

12 Likes

Make sure to lick them nightly, as science and all the developments are clearly a sham, as they have sometimes been used against minority groups… Really, we shouldn’t be living in houses or in civilized societies at all, since inequality exists at all… /s

7 Likes

I will trust biotech companies and medical establishment any day over anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists, and right-wing grifters. The former are not perfect, but the latter are stupid, evil, insane, or frequently all three at the same time.

13 Likes

Artisanal vaccines are the best. Are yours organic?

10 Likes

I don’t know. But they do have street cred.

9 Likes

The argument is particularly chilling when one considers the actual overlap in people who are discouraging black people specifically from trusting the vaccine and people who are white nationalists.

Leaving out the well-intentioned idiots for a minute… that’s scary.

15 Likes

They are using a history that they themselves deny to try and kill more people of color. We saw this very same strategy early in the pandemic when Jared Kushner recommended that the administration should not roll out a national response to covid when they learned it was hitting communities of color and Democratic strongholds the hardest. This kind of disinformation that @siliconsunset is attempting to shove down our throats is just another iteration of that.

14 Likes