Pharma-hedge-douche: I should've charged more for AIDS/cancer drug

3 Likes

I hope his Porche has far worse gas mileage than was advertised.

1 Like

Itā€™s not true that the CEO is a fiduciary? Or that shareholders sue over actions which caused their share prices to drop?

ā€¦and customers Sue over faulty products or price fixing or anticompetitive actions. Or employees Sue over labor practices, or unfair wages, or illegal non compete clauses, or illegal anti-poach agreements.

A public CEO is at best one third beholden to investors.

2 Likes

Iā€™VE GOT IT!
I know what area he can make a killing in.
The drugs they use for executions. Arenā€™t they having troubles sourcing these?
If youā€™re going to make a killing in drugs, why not make a killing in killing drugs! BOOM!
Itā€™s not like it will make his reputation any worse!

6 Likes

Yes, when youā€™re private things are different, but for a publicly traded company the majority of the time, itā€™s true. Sure, activist investors exist, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™d call them a consistent force, and theyā€™re certainly not the majority of most boards.

I have a skewed opinion, I worked at symc and eBay, and have friends still at HP.

Activist board members and investors are everywhere. And if they smell short term gains they are worse than wolves.

1 Like

He should be dragged by his 200$ haircut in to the street and shot.

1 Like

Der Markt macht frei!

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty relevant that heā€™s profiteering in an industry that lives are depending on.

1 Like

First, itā€™s not. That whole ā€œROI to Shareholders is the only dutyā€ is a myth, cooked up by Milton Friedman in a NYT Magazine article. Itā€™s not gospel. Second, you arenā€™t maximizing profits for your shareholders if your PR is so bad that everyone hates your fucking guts and looks to find a way to avoid sending you any money whatsoever, which is what this guy has accomplished. He thought he dried up all (reasonable) alternate sources for his drug, but he forgot about Dre, aka, compounding pharmacies. Yes, itā€™s a pain in the ass to order from one, and doctors donā€™t often know about the arcanaā€“but thanks to what a colossal asshole Shkreli is, you can bet they know about this particular example.

His shareholders should divest, he is toxic waste.

5 Likes

Could you convert, say, cold medicine to methamphetamine? Because there seems to be quite a demand for that.

1 Like

I think this guy screwed up big time ā€“ he was sitting on a potential gold mine with that drug. Toxoplasmosis is the disease weā€™re constantly being told we may get from our cats, and all it would take is some Jenny McCarthy type to start a panic about it to create a huge run on that drug. Hell, he may still think this will happen ā€“ people freaking out that they caught it from their cats, getting doctors to prescribe it, and insurers turning it down as not medically-necessary, therefore causing cat owners (who after all, will pay ridiculous amounts for money for things like cat furniture and toys) to shell out for this overpriced pill.

Heā€™s clearly not an evil genius.

1 Like

To us, yes. To him, it makes very little difference, except that maybe the scam is a bit easier to perpetrate. His MO is to find a product in a given industryā€™s long tail that is absolutely necessary to its small clientele, then create an effective monopoly and hold up that clientele. That kind of long tail product isnā€™t unique to the pharmaceutical industry, but itā€™s most easily found there.

Thatā€™s why I just call him a douche, not a pharma-douche - heā€™ll go for the easiest target of opportunity, whatever that may be. If you want me to strive for accuracy, maybe ā€œsociopathic asshatā€ will fit the bill.

Thatā€™s a fairly trivial synthesis, simple enough to perform in a helmet in a searing cold right next to Stalingrad. A spectrometer-feedbacked microreactor feels almost like an overkill.

In this context I see more potential in on-demand synthesis of effective cough medicines/decongestants from difficult-to-restrict precursors. (Just now Iā€™d love some. I hate this weather.) With the optional subsequent step.

2 Likes

I know we dont like guns around these parts, but would anybody be mad if I shoot this prick?

2 Likes

Eschew violence.

Use a poison.

4 Likes

Allowing him to expire by withholding a lifesaving medicine would be more poetic.

5 Likes

True.

Iā€™d still prefer getting rid of him and his ilk by rendering them irrelevant with a chem fablab in every kitchen.

1 Like

Good companies recognise the benefits of corporate social responsibility, to their staff and to their shareholders, as well as the wider community. But this guy isnā€™t running a good company. From where Iā€™m standing, heā€™s barely running a company at all - itā€™s basically a massive wodge of loans that he hopes will be funded by US health insurance subscribers, backed up with a legal stick, in the form of the manufacturing licenceā€™s legal status. There are so many different ways an enterprise founded on this basis can fall down - anyone who puts their money into it is asking to get burnt badly. As for the people who made him the loans to begin thisā€¦

2 Likes