Philadelphia Cream Cheese exploits tax loophole with new bagel

Sounds like a schmear campaign.

8 Likes

Not Funny Joke GIF by M.G.S Azul

5 Likes

It was also a little weird how they tried to ban large servings of soft drinks:
Sugary drinks portion cap rule - Wikipedia.

As Jon Stewart pointed out at the time, it was a silly rule with a lot of obvious loopholes. For example, large servings of frozen desserts remained unrgulated, unless they melted.

Ich bin ein Berliner!

3 Likes

There are sites that will charge upwards of 40 bucks to ship a dozen proper new york bagels to you.

Grow up in the Jewish parts of Toronto, another place that REAL bagels are made (both New York and Montréal-style) but frequently forgotten about due to the sheer cultural weight of NY, then move to, I don’t know, Austin and Orlando of all bagel-less places… during and after a pandemic, and you will suddenly be VERY tempted to make trips just for proper bagels.

Episode 5 Abc GIF by The Bachelor

7 Likes

Wholy Bagel is on some “Best Bagels outside of NYC” lists, so Austin isn’t totally bereft.

2 Likes

I deleted my earlier reply. I thought I was responding to the sarcasm of your comment in kind with more sarcasm. I apologize.

Yay, tax shenanigans.
In PA there’s a similar tax on food. Regular food is tax free.

So, cheese: no tax. Crackers: not tax. Those Lance toast chee things? Taxed

Long, long ago I developed Point of Sale software for a restaurant in downtown Minneapolis, not too far from City Hall. The restaurant was a fancy lunch spot on the top of a department store, where they featured a guy playing the piano, all the fancy extras. The City of Minneapolis had recently built the Metrodome and passed a new city sales tax to help pay for it. They also passed extra taxes on top of restaurant food, and on food and drinks when served with live entertainment. They asked me to set up the taxes on the tills, so I dutifully added the new tax brackets for each:

• Minnesota tax: 6.5%
  • Minneapolis city tax: 0.5%
  • Restaurant food tax: 3%
  • Live entertainment tax: 3%

So when the customer got the receipt for their $100 lunch tab, they’d see four separate tax lines totaling an extra $13.

This did not please the mayor’s office, who looked every bit as incompetent and comically stupid as they really were for having doubled the sales tax to benefit some whiny sportsball teams full of millionaires.

So what did they do? They passed an ordinance requiring all taxes to be summed together and presented as a single line on the receipt. They couldn’t stand to have their ineptitude laid bare in front of everyone.

You maybe can’t fight city hall, but sometimes you can take a swing at them.

1 Like

Tomatoes, the Tariff Act of 1883, and the Supreme Court:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.