Philips pushes lightbulb firmware update that locks out third-party technology

If you install v0.4.12, then you are “avoiding” v0.4.11, 0.4.10, 0.4.9, etc

That’s some military grade willfull blindness you’re sporting there.

Okay, thank you. This is helping me understand. :smile:

STEM topics interest me far more than many friends and colleagues, and I have also exhibited behaviors that fit comfortably into the write-those-off-for-now layer.

And I thought the smart home of the future was going to be a friendly place. It’s already balkanizing. Give me back my X-10 controllers! They didn’t have DRM.

1 Like

Where are you going with this? Didn’t my previous post say that pasting things and calling me “blind” was presenting no cogent argument for whatever point you are trying to make? Your next post was more of the same.

That I don’t interpret this law the same way you do does not mean that I am blind. Either make your point more clearly, or agree to disagree - without making personal remarks about me.

If you have the curiosity and willingness to use it, you aren’t a writeoff. You may be temporarily bottom-barreled but that’s it. If you can learn and want to learn, getting to the upper levels is a matter of time.

1 Like

Oh shush now. This approach has worked out ever so well for Keurig. Evidence based policies are always the best policies.

I’m sorry, I’m just fed up with your inability to focus on more than one half of a sentence at a time. I’m out.

Oh, Hi there @deedub , meet popobawa4u :smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

I am increasingly coming to the view that anything, everything that includes software will be turned against its nominal owner sooner or later. Probably sooner rather than later. Which is why I am increasingly coming to the view that I’m not really looking forward to self-drive cars. I’m not overly concerned about the ‘runaway car who dies, and who decides who dies’ problem - that’s ‘only’ an ethical concern, which is relatively easy to solve. I’m more concerned about GM or VW deciding for me what I can do with ‘my’ car, which is a financial concern which in our current climate is essentially insoluble. At least, it’s insoluble in my favour. It’s an already solved problem as far as companies are concerned :angry:

3 Likes

Keep eyes open for those small “shady” garages. People want to make living, and market has the uncanny ability to meet demand with supply.

You are hilarious! :smile: That made my whole morning.

True, how could I forget that shining example.

Well, frankly, if the police are given the guidance that they’re looking for a suspect with a blue jacket and everyone has a black jacket under sodium vapor, you’re looking at stopping a lot of people. It’s less about doing food photography and more about the visual clues that exist in the world, like the orange road cone that isn’t as visible because everything is yellow orange, or the red jacket of that jogger that you don’t see because they blend with the green hedge. Color rendering is just as important at night.

As for the glare, that’s a factor of bad design driven by cost ramifications. Towns don’t want to respace their poles, they just want to put in new sources and save energy. Manufacturers as a result are making fixtures that have to throw further instead. If towns would sit down and take in all the variables in the situation street lighting would be a lot better, but they’re doing half assed work throughout in an effort to save money and you should be after the town council, there are other solutions.

The effect of blue color component on people’s circadian rhytms and sleep quality trumps the “proper” color rendering at night.

That’s what the retroreflective strips are for.

1 Like

Unless we’re talking about streetlighting, where I’d want drivers as awake as possible. Like we are. This is also especially rich coming from someone who espouses the use of metal halide in the home.

People should be free to wear what they want when they exercise. Street lighting is used to increase visibility for everyone, not just those wearing special clothing. You want to jog in those comfortable sweats from college, you should be able to be just as visible as someone with specialized jogging clothes.

Arguing for a less efficient source like HPS that has a terrible color rendering is a ridiculous line to take when the replacement lamp that uses the same ballast, lasts longer and has literally 60% more of the color spectrum while using less energy is arguing for argument’s sake.

The light from the outside has an annoying tendency to leak through people’s windows into their dwellings. These people are drivers too, after they wake up. Impair their sleep quality, and safety goes down round the clock, not just at night.

It is excellent for waking up, and for handling seasonal depression aka winter blues. Not as good for going to bed. Different source is needed for that, or a color filter over the lamp.

That’s what those sew-on retroreflective patches are for. And there are even those arm bands.

Do you want to do food photos, or get good sleep?

That’s what headlights are for.

2 Likes

That too. But a combo of retroreflective strips and headlights works the best.

1 Like

Specialized jogging clothes (or, at least, the ones that I think you’re referring to) are designed for visibility, and saying that something you should be just as visible in something that is not designed for visibility as in something that is designed for visibility is a strange argument to make. It’s like saying “you should be able to go as fast down the street on a mountain bike as someone on a racing bike,” or “you should be able to get sound quality that’s just as high from your dollar-store earbuds as the guy who spent $50 for his earbuds.”

Now, saying that “the streets should be well-enough lit that everyone is visible enough to jog safely at night, regardless of what they are wearing” is an entirely different argument, and I can see that point. However, without lighting the outdoors to the point of perpetual daylight, I don’t see how that’s possible.

1 Like