Phoenicians respond to Election results

Originally published at: Phoenicians respond to Election results | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but this demonym was really confusing without context.

Phoenician coin

48 Likes

Not just you.

I also wondered why ancient civilizations would care…

24 Likes

giphy

23 Likes

Wait! So people from Phoenix are called Phoenicians? That’s the second-best name after Glasgow/Glaswegians!

11 Likes

Especially since it isn’t even spelled the way it sounds.

11 Likes

Real Phoenicians: “Hey we invented spelling!”

21 Likes

I bet those guys would have been really pissed off if they knew the Greeks would one day name their civilization with a word using the “ph” spelling.

10 Likes

You mean Φοινίκη, at the time pronounced with an actual /ph/ sound? I’m not sure we can pin the mistake on them…

11 Likes

Absolutely. Took me most of the article to associate “Phoenician” with “person from Phoenix.” I was very confused about why Phoenicians would have an opinion about an election far, far in their future!

15 Likes

My first thought was honestly that maybe there were still people there called Phoenicians that you just don’t hear much about, like Assyrians or Samaritans.

18 Likes

:thinking:

13 Likes

They are living large:

Phoenicians know how to roll!

8 Likes

The Sea Peoples have been taking the blame for various collapses for way too long…

11 Likes

When in doubt just blame the ancient Greeks. Φuck those guys.

16 Likes

Thank you. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one.

5 Likes

I was unreasonably excited the day I learned that phi, chi and theta were originally just the aspirated versions of pi, kappa and tau.

9 Likes

I figured it was referring to characteristic traits of Phoenicians, not real Phoenicians, the same way that some modern day people are called Philistines.

ETA: The pic on the story of a person wearing purple dyed hair may have led me to that line of thought.

4 Likes

“… real estate mogul Katy Hobbs defeating former TV news anchor …”

See, they are real, normal people; just like you or me!

7 Likes

My experience of Scottsdale and the pictured experience of Scottsdale are very different.

6 Likes