Photo of a freaky human-sized bat

gonna need to see video of that thing in flight.

otherwise I’m saying fox-in-cape or at best fox-in-long-cowl

3 Likes

Doctor Langstrom I presume.

5 Likes

Uh oh. I will be slowly backing away from it then.

1 Like

There’s lots of things that are human sized once you see how small humans can be and survive. Human sized rats? NBD. Human sized skunks? Seen 'em. Human sized spider? Check!

3 Likes

Looks almost balletic!

2 Likes

It looks to me that the toes are hanging off that wire. No?

1 Like

A friend had a flat in Brisbane that was at treetop level, you could sit on the balcony and watch fruit bats flying from their roosts.

12 Likes

We have a lot of bats in some parts of Melbourne and locals have started asking for them to be shot or otherwise done away with and the advice from people who know about bats is to never, ever, break them open. We should know now that bad things happen when you do that.

6 Likes

The funny part is that it looks like a dog (plus wings) and also barks back at the dog.

2 Likes

It looks massive in the photo but not that big in the video. Still pretty big but not as dramatic as the photo makes it seem.

I once encountered a pair of caged flying foxes at a bus rest stop in Vietnam. To the horror and fascination of the passengers- one of these bats was giving itself a BJ. Said genitalia was the length of its body. I took a pic as one does.

3 Likes

Roger that… because in comparison, fruitbats have much larger testes.

3 Likes

Profile mode, I assume.

1 Like

“… one of these bats was giving itself a BJ”

And Batman could only dream.

1 Like

“When the red, red Robin goes bob-bob-bobbin’ along…”

Well, “human sized” may be a bit of hyperbole…

I guess my small human was once the size of this bat, but we had to change her diapers at the time. A lot of these pictures have some forced perspective to increase the apparent size, and others just have no referent for size.

Here are a couple of pictures that I found that better show the true size. They’re big, but not what I’d call “human sized”. (maybe “baby sized”, which is still impressive for something that flies.)
X80fT
Giant-Golden-Crowned-Flying-Fox-Size

7 Likes

That’s ok. I still want to hug it.

7 Likes

3 Likes

There’s a network of people in Australia who devote their time to rescuing bats who get into trouble (stuck in places they can’t fly out of; stuck on barbed wire fences, etc.). And they post the rescues on YouTube. Like Megabattie, who I think is a retired nurse who lives in Sydney. (She deals with fruit bats.) The baby bats she cares for are especially cute.

I’ve never seen as big a bat as this posted on her channel, though. Perhaps it’s native to the Philippines.

6 Likes

I guess that’s why people always have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat.

3 Likes