Photo of Bernie Sanders being arrested in 1963 Chicago protest

We’re in total agreement on this. If Sanders loses the nomination, I’m going to be inclined to think that this is a major reason why.

5 Likes

And what was Clinton doing?

3 Likes

Working for Goldwater…

2 Likes

I know. It was rhetorical. I really don’t know if Clinton ever got on board with civil rights as a cause as much as she went where the winds were blowing. But then, I can’t even name what Clinton’s core values are supposed to be, personally.

3 Likes

OH… derp.

Good question… I dunno, winning?

10 Likes

Terrifying for you and me, certainly. Perhaps not particularly terrifying if your interest is in finding further reasons to limit civil liberties or build more firewalls between rich and miscellaneous.

1 Like

They may think it’s the right move to do so, but limiting civil liberties is going to have disastrous consequences for us all in the long run.

1 Like

Maybe also Latinas

“Bernie hasn’t been around,” [Dolores] Huerta said, referring to Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Mrs. Clinton’s opponent in Nevada’s Democratic caucuses on Saturday. “He came to see the Latinos when they had the fruit.”

1 Like

Tangentially related, here is one of the reasons for Rep. Jim Clyburn backing Clinton instead of Sanders, he feels that Sander’s free college plan endangers HBCUs:

The question for me is who benefits from free college and will people who make the choice to attend an HBCU really making a choice between an a public university and a private HBCU? Or are they choosing between a private HBCU and a private elite (formerly white) liberal arts school?

3 Likes

On the other hand, this may very well be the last time we have a candidate running for president that was on the ground supporting the civil rights fights in the 1960s. For many for whom this will be their first election, I suspect that’s more inspiring than the lukewarm promise of continuing the Clinton dynasty.

2 Likes

I’m thinking that the long term, disruptive consequences would be pretty unsettling for even those entities seeking to limit civil liberties.

The only group for whom those consequences would be appealing are the religious extremists obsessed with bringing about the apocalypse. And even then, I’m fairly sure that fear of god is supposed to factor quite centrally into their ideology.

1 Like

[quote=“funruly, post:30, topic:74046”]
On the other hand, this may very well be the last time we have a candidate running for president that was on the ground supporting the civil rights fights in the 1960s. For many for whom this will be their first election, I suspect that’s more inspiring than the lukewarm promise of continuing the Clinton dynasty.
[/quote]Lucky for you guys there’s 50 years worth of chances to have been “on the ground” fighting for civil rights between then and now. It’s not like this ended in 1964.

15 Likes

Without question.

Unlucky for us, no one else with such creds is currently running for President.

6 Likes

Which guys are those?

Ah.

Still waiting for this week’s focus group results to come back in…

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure that’s helping this conversation…

8 Likes

Bernie McLovin’ is a badass!

3 Likes

Once Hillary starts with shit like this, how can people support her? Just lousy tactics, politician through and through.

1 Like

A friend of mine wrote it best why Bernie is having such a hard time. He’s a Bernie supporter from NC, but he knows the black community is generally not with him on it, and he also explains why:

Bernie has made amazing inroads within the black community in the recent weeks with his campaign. His true issue is establishment politics. Bernie has long been an independent that caucuses with the Democrats but has not been a registered and establishment party member. That hurts him tremendously in the current party nomination process. The nominee is the de facto leader of the party and that means the establishment democrats on the state and local level want someone who use their political capital and campaign organization to help them get elected, just as they do for their chosen presidential nominee candidate. The Clintons have made so many friends within the party and have campaigned and more importantly fundraised for so many congressional and state democrats in their own elections which Bernie as an independent didnt have to do. Just like the SuperDelegates picked up by Hilary in NH, HRC has the democratic establishment of congressional, state and local government leaders in her corner. The world we live in is “Scratch my back and I will scratch yours” when it comes to party line politics. Bernie will have an extremely hard time overcoming the reality of party line politics for which he didn’t have to play as an independent but will come back to hurt him heavily when running for democratic party nominee for president.

I.e. it’s not so much that the black community is turning away from Bernie; it’s that it is a very difficult task getting more people to turn towards him, for very understandable reasons. But we must.

5 Likes

Yeah. Bernie wants to head a grassroots movement to get rid of shittty establisment Democrats all the way down the ballot. Makes sense they’d not want him.

9 Likes