Photographers captured shots of mortar exploding in the instant before their deaths

That’s clearly a video camera in the corner of the second photo. It’s not impossible that it was in some sort of still photo mode, but I doubt it. Kind of weird to hold on to such a horrible video for four years and then release a single frame while pretending it wasn’t a video at all. Strange choices all around.

1 Like

I agree. Especially the hollywood films that came out in the 1950s and 1960s about WW2 - part of that is due to the Hayes Code and the McCarthy era purges, I’d argue. I do think that many of the Vietnam films worked to show the darker side of war, sort of culminating in the masterpiece that is Apocalypse Now (which I think the filming had some really troubling aspects, as it was shot in a dictatorship and had support of that regime, but it’s still an amazing movie). Even there, though, there is something of an unreality and almost fetishistic quality of what war is like. Come and See just did none of that, even while it still sought to glorify the partisans of Belarus during WW2.

3 Likes

Oh god, that’s horrible. I’m sorry.

Alive and working help other kids heal from war. The Toronto Star has a piece on her every couple of years.

1 Like

It certainly made the film, A Few Good Men much more relevant to me.

4 Likes

A Few Good Men was where I learned that a “blanket party” is not the fun it sounds like.

3 Likes

Privatizing formerly public water supplies comes to mind, as avoidably stupid. Every choice this country has made around petroleum. Using the melting polar icecaps as an opportunity to get at undersea oil deposits. Building on the fracking boom to make even more plastics. If these dont sound as stupid as figjting a war, wait a few years until wars are fought because of these things.

I’m not saying that never happens, but at the same time there are many more people who end up deciding this was a bad decision and just runaway. I lived by an army base and there were A LOT of soldiers in to drugs and other shit, and more thane once I know someone who knew someone who just took off and never came back.

I think the disconnect applies to both what citizens expect of the conduct and results of the troops they send into conflict, and certainly to the troop’s expectation of the combat experience vs. the reality of it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.