Photos from Stasiland

[Permalink]

On the linked article, one of the comments mentioned that these look like photos from the set of a Wes Anderson movie. It’s horrible because I can’t unsee it. I think it was because East German fashion stayed pretty much mired in the late 1960s-early 1970s all the way up to the fall of the Wall in 1989.

Looks like Aperture Lab’s 1960’s administration offices to me.

“Red and green shall never be seen”

Impressive. Holy shit I love this photograph.

Great photos! But I must ask, why do artists always have the worst websites? Flash…dear god why? It’s 2014.

It’s to enhance the feeling of horror and nostalgia in the viewer.

Update: Found an actual web site with some photos..

I think their web designers often tell them it’s harder for their photos to be stolen.

I remember looking at a photographer’s website where right-click was disabled and a pop-up told you that it was to prevent you from taking their pictures. Of course, that only worked on IE, not Firefox :wink:

On topic, I highly recommend Das Leben der Anderen (if I’m not mistaken the English title is The Lives of Others), an excellent movie about the relationship between a Stasi agent and the guy he’s supposed to watch.

Don’t they though? Architects are also fans of the hideous flash blob. And, weirdly, designers, I’ve found. Why?

Tight control over the visual presentation, overall user experience be damned.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.