Physics Girl shows you and your kids 20 at-home science experiments in 5:00 minutes (ish)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/23/physics-girl-shows-you-and-you.html

3 Likes

We do sciency things with our 6yo often but this was great. It reminded me of a few that we forgot (poor little girl - both parents are nerds/engineers/scientists).

1 Like

If you know what’s going to happen, is it really an experiment?

Now, science “demos” …

2 Likes

I’m questioning whether or not you’re socially isolating enough.

1 Like

THIS IS HOW YOU GET A REPLICATION CRISIS
DO YOU WANT A REPLICATION CRISIS

3 Likes

Physics Girl

Where were you when I was single?

I really want to be impressed by the enthusiasm of the presentation and the cool science concepts, but I can’t get over my disappointment that an apparently intelligent female has chosen to infantilise herself by adopting the title “Physics Girl”. This poor word choice would have Becky Botsford rotating in her syndications. Why not “Physics Woman” or “Lady Physics”?

Don’t play with fire in your kitchen, kids!

Good for her, kids need to be fascinated by science - but it would have been ten times better if she’d taken her time and not made it into a speed trial. One of the things I want my kids to realise is that experimentation take time, safety procedures and patience.

1 Like

In this case one doesn’t negate the other.

I don’t think many would get excited by “physics woman”. And this is about getting viewers to see the science she’s showing off.

Besides, “Supergil” has been that for decades. Maybe a bad choice of name in the first place, but I don’t think a negative thing generally. It invokes a capable woman.

This isn’t the same as someone saying “that girl…” And you’re looking around to see which kid they are referring to.

If aomeone refers to this woman as “girl”, without the"physics" prefix, then it’s not okay.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.