Pi was almost 6.28...

Just the transfer rate, I don’t need to charge phones with it. That should draw some extra power, but they did up the LAN rate, and I didn’t see any mention of extra draw for that.

1 Like

And it will take more power. A GigE transceiver takes a reasonable amount of power.

The odd thing is, they say it’s 300Mbps. I didn’t think you could just dial any rate, but it wasn’t important enough to dig into.

I’ve always found it unsettling that:

exp( i * pi ) = -1

Oh, it’s a full up Gig-E interface running at the proper speed. You’re correct in that you can’t ‘turn a knob’ and change that. The 300 value comes in when you look at how fast you can move data in and out of the ethernet controller chip. The chip in the Rpi boards has one USB port (and not a very good one at that) which goes to a combined USB hub/ethernet controller. The effective throughput of that connection is 300Mb/s (480Mb/s signaling rate - overhead - workarounds for problems with the chip, etc.).

That means you only have that much bandwidth to spend communicating with the devices on that USB connection. That means the four USB host ports and the ethernet controller share that 300Mb/s. For example, if you’re reading data off of a USB hard drive and sending that off over the ethernet connection, you can manage at most 150Mb/s of data transfer as it must first come off the hard drive and over the USB link to the CPU and then get sent back over that link to the ethernet controller.

That’s the reason many people want to see something other than one USB2 connection on these boards. By way of comparison, the H3 chip that many of the inexpensive Orange Pi boards is based on has native 100Mb/s ethernet and three native USB ports. That means no sharing of bandwidth when accessing those different ports. The H5 steps that up to GigE.

In the UK we celebrate Pi Day around about 22 July.

1 Like

You mean you celebrate it approximately 22 July?

Yep. Close to 22/7

1 Like

I got it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess we could compromise on 4.71.

and approximate pi day on 22nd of July (in countries that do dd/mm/yy like sensible people)

YYYY-MM-DD makes way more sense. Ever sort something?

1 Like

This.

Also, ISO 8601.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.