Pirate radio pioneer Ronan O'Rahilly of Radio Caroline has died

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/20/pirate-radio-pioneer-ronan-o.html

4 Likes

not your adam faith…

1 Like

He was also apparently George Lazenby’s (the Bond actor who only played Bond in one movie, 1969’s “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”) agent. Apparently he convinced Lazenby that signing a contract for more Bond films was bad idea because the franchise was dying, paving the road to Roger Moore’s takeover of the role.

2 Likes

Why are the whoevers responsible for this sort of stuff incapable of realising the existence of different aspect ratios? We need the dead media guy to do a piece on it.

Perhaps the kids in Silicon Valley who write all the youTube javascript don’t know that there used to be an aspect ratio called 4:3.

1 Like

Heaven forfend they ever see the UK’s 14:9.

It was used in the transition from 4:3 to 16:9 with advice to directors and camera operators to frame to allow it to be cropped in either direction to 4:3 or 16:9. Many didn’t but it did allow some stuff that was filmed in 4:3 (16:9 cameras were rarer then) with the right guidance, to be cropped to 14:9 to make people think they were getting more value from their new widescreen tellies. These were the days when every TV showroom had all the 4:3 material showing in 16:9 with short,fat people everywhere to be seen. I used to have fun resetting them whenever I wandered in to check out new models, as I was 4:3 at home and looking to buy a new set.

So while 14:9 was happening I bought a new widescreen TV from Panasonic which advertised 14:9 capability but clearly did not have it when it arrived. In the end they refused to replace it, but did send a factory technician to replace/reprogram a chip and I was informally led to believe my kicking up a stink about it with the retailer’s head office and Panasonic’s UK HQ resulted in the production line being stopped while they fixed the problem with the relevant chips.

Apologies for diverting from the topic - it all came rushing back to me when I saw that footage. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.