Plantation removes racist Juneteenth celebration advertisement, cancels event

Neither of my parents attended an integrated school before college. Both graduated high school 10 years after Brown v. Board of education, one in Mississippi and one in central Florida. My dad’s congregation in Polk county replaced their pastor ~1960 explicitly because he was pushing integration as the christian thing to do and few wanted to hear that.
Segregation is not long ago at all* as much people try to act like its the distant past

*that is total segregation; the public schools are still mostly segregated everywhere I’ve lived

11 Likes

Yeah - talking about desegregation and integration is really nonspecific. We’re still at the ‘no forced segregation/some light cross over’ phase in so many districts all over the country. Probably they never were able to sort out the statistics to design the integration programs, not being able to see color and all.

3 Likes

In a lot of places there was busing for a short while, forcing integration of schools. It actually worked. As unpopular as it was, it succeeded in the aim of raising kids who saw how the rest of town lived and getting them to grow up viewing each other as people. Unsurprisingly the moment it was legal for white parents to send their kids to all white schools again they did. Basically, like the end of reconstruction take two (or is that three, or four, …)

8 Likes

does seem to be the same guy who wrote the original announcement

The program “Kingdom Coming” was created by myself, with the help of others. I, Ian Campbell, Site Manager of Historic Latta Plantation take full responsibility for its content entirely! To the masses on social media and politicians, no apology will be given for bringing a unique program to educate the public about former slaves becoming FREE!

The Confederacy will never be glorified, white supremacy will never be glorified, plantation owners, white refugees or overseers will never be glorified. What will be commemorated is the story of our people who overcame being snatched from their loved ones in Mother Africa and taken to a new and strange land. To work from can see to can’t see from birth to death. The fact that they survived and we are here and continue to thrive and prosper will be glorified.

Swing Low Sweet Chariot was used to represent freedom on earth from plantation owners. “What profit has a man from all his labor in which he toils under the sun?” Ecclesiastes 1:3. The profits of these freedmen would go into their pockets and not the pockets of their owners. To tell the story of these freedmen would be pointless if the stories of others were not included. Many of you may not like this but, their lives were intertwined, the stories of massa, the Confederate soldiers, the overseer, the displaced white families.

lattaplantation.org/?fbclid=IwAR1AWXE8Z8IUucOhPLAwQ9FxUqLHqRprCHi5kZTvJMRlu9XMfTLVgyVBwbk

1 Like

Just a reminder that the ends of the Civil War and WWII were only 80 years apart.

Baby Boomers were entering grade school while the last people born into slavery were still alive.

This history is a lot less ancient that we like to think of it as.

3 Likes

Somewhat related:

This is great news, and I understand the important significance of Juneteenth, but it’s still weird to me that it’s celebrated as the end of legal slavery in the U.S. when it was still in force in Delaware and Kentucky (both Northern states that fought for the Union!!) until the 13th amendment was ratified nearly 6 months later on December 6, 1865. People always tend to forget about those weird states that were both pro Union and pro slavery.

6 Likes

OH, well, this topic will close very soon, but color me thoroughly confused.

So… a black Site Manager is who put together that event. He claims he wants to educate and refuses to glorify the Confederacy or white supremacy.

But - I have to ask - how can he not understand the backlash based on the description of the event??? As I said, it appears 4 out of 5 voices were how it effected the white plantation owners/workers and white refugees. It is just a very, very odd focus for the occasion.

He gives some examples of how things will be different for former slaves moving forward, though IMO in overly optimistic terms. He again used the term “living high on the hog”, which I wouldn’t use to characterize most freed slaves during reconstruction, but maybe he knows something I don’t.

Then he goes on to blame yellow journalism. I mean… I dunno, his stated mission and the delivered event synopsis doesn’t line up in my head. But instead of admitting maybe there was some confusion based on how the event was publicized, he seems intent on sticking to his guns.

:confused:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.