Plantation removes racist Juneteenth celebration advertisement, cancels event

We all know what Harriet Tubman would have us believe about slavery, but finally we get to hear the other side of the story from the white man’s POV. (sarcasm)

What awful tone deaf :ox::poop:. Plantations are glorified in the south as a shining example of the greatness that was stolen from whites by the oppressive Yankees / liberal government :face_vomiting:. Funny how Germany doesn’t have any former concentration camps honoring the lives and stories of the nazis.

7 Likes

In America the Nazis would be demanding their freedom of speech if they were treated like they were in post-WW2 Germany. That’s why there are these Theresienstadts all over the country.

12 Likes

My first thought was that the plantation was going to alienate all its non-racist visitors which is probably 0% of them.

My second thought was there is real value to historically acurate plantation museums, so I propose a national law requiring all former slave plantations be owned by descendants of the people that were enslaved there. That way we could have fewer racist plantation weddings and whatever the fuck this “Juneteenth celebration” is and instead have some real history lessons

6 Likes

In what possible iteration of the multiverse did anyone think this was a good idea?

4 Likes

I’m surprised they didn’t play the “if it weren’t for slavery we wouldn’t have Juneteenth” card.

7 Likes

24 Likes

Just cutting some onions over here…

10 Likes

Brilliant layout of a complex phenomenon in your post there. In fact, the same cycle happens at a regional level, and is documented in the very best piece of journalistic investigation I’ve read in ages:

The article is an overview of the history of enslavement in America as taught in elementary through high school level official history textbooks, and everyone everyone everyone needs to read it.

But the tidbit most related to your post about families was the way the textbook for the, say, History of Tennessee class at public school taught schoolchildren how, in Tennessee, the enslaved people were treated well and were satisfied to be enslaved in Tennessee, and not in nearby Mississippi or Louisiana where life was cruel. And then how the Louisiana History textbook taught Louisiana children that the enslaved in Louisiana were sure glad to be enslaved there and not in nearby Mississippi or Tennessee.

21 Likes

Ahhh, the old, “It wasn’t us who were the bad slavers, it was those others slavers.”

6 Likes

‘bad apples’ I think they’re called nowadays.

7 Likes

Sadly, it happened in the one we have to live in. Really wish it would’ve been a theoretical one but nooOOoo.

3 Likes

WT actual F?

Although Brown v. Board of Education officially outlawed segregation in 1955, Lindsey Graham’s school district in Pickens County, S.C., didn’t desegregate until 1970.

5 Likes

That’s 'Merica right there.

:angry:

3 Likes

Yep, right in the feels. I can’t imagine that kind of mental anguish.

3 Likes

There aren’t enough facepalms in the world for these ignorant assholes.

4 Likes

Hope springs eternal.

And there’s more.

John Kennedy (R-La.)
What he said: “[Biden] has gone fuel ‘wokerista.’ He has joined those people who believe America was wicked in its origins.”

What he read:

John Kennedy attended segregated schools in Louisiana for his entire elementary and high school career. Kennedy’s Zachary High School integrated in 1970, the year after Kennedy graduated. The East Baton Rouge Parish’s desegregation case was the longest desegregation case in American history, finally ending in 2007.

6 Likes

Disregard the onebox; this is a post from the Site Manager about the event.

2 Likes

To clarify this is John Neely Kennedy.

3 Likes

Yep
Seems like ‘70 was a very common start point for white children attending schools that could have a nonzero number of Black classmates.
Think of it like this : if you had school aged children in the South when Brown vs BOE came down, you stood a good chance of never having to see your child’s school allow a Black classmate.
Think of it like this: after Brown, a whole other generation grew up in whites-only schools.
And then, in or around 70, the private schools cropped up like a stubborn mold. Like the one I was shipped off to in the 80s because I’d been getting in trouble at the public middle school - found out that the little church affiliated low rent prep school had been schemed up in 70 or thereabouts by parents at that church in response to the long dreaded bussing finally being implemented in that Florida town.
Pre-K through 12th: there were 2 wealthy Black boys, but only 1 was American, and there was a biracial middle class girl a year or two below me.
The circumstances of the school’s founding only came out because of the reserved but observable dissidence of heartthrob physics teacher Mr Jackson. Had he not been a cute, smart, young white man with an advanced degree from a prestigious University, likely no one would have given heed at all, but Mr Jackson grumbled when he learned duringhhis 1st year on staff, that our school did not honor MLK day as a holiday.
The official story had always been that the venerable Doctor King was an advocate for education, and wouldn’t have wanted kids out of school that day, so our school planned a whole day of special activities about the Civil rights movement. Sugar wouldn’t melt, I tell you.
But, but, ahem, said the object of many 10th graders’ daydreams, “but no one has planned any special activities at all.”
So Mr Jackson actually taught a few items on civil rights one year, but the hubbub got the other teachers (many of whom were the very wives of the founders) talking, and basically the story was known.
After that, they started teaching Black history and… Just kidding. When I left in the mid 90s nothing else had ever been said.
And we were, by South of the Maison Dixon standards, a liberal foxes’ den of Yankeefied iniquity.

7 Likes