Frederick Douglass: What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/04/scorching-irony.html

14 Likes

This is a good take. NPR read the Declaration of Independance this morning (as they always do) and I wonder if it wouldn’t be good to read this alongside it in the future.

Also, Juneteenth should be a national holiday, and just as big as July 4th. Maybe that would help make the 4th of July more inclusive.

11 Likes

“May God bless each and every one of the terrible crimes and tortures committed by the United States of America.”

– George H.W. Bush (paraphrased)

4 Likes

Dear Mr. Douglas please return to the present day. We so need people with the eloquence to speak clearly and cut through obfuscation of rightwing lies. And thank you for the work you did while you were here.

11 Likes

Have the low-information voters expressed their outrage yet over NPR’s unpatriotic views? Calling for action against an unjust, tyrannical government – how dare they!

12 Likes

28 Likes

How well known is Juneteenth in the US? As someone from outside this was the first year I had heard of it as a “day” rather than the events behind it. (“Day” since I am not sure how best to refer to it)

2 Likes

How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?

Samuel Johnson, Taxation No Tyranny (1775)

7 Likes

Well it’s been around since the slaves were freed, but it wasn’t until the 1980’s that states started recognizing it. According to Google Trends it’s been on the uptick for the last few years. Interesting;

5 Likes

It’s very well known in Texas where the events that inspired the observance took place. Here in Amarillo where I live we have a parade and gathering with food and music, and, a local tradition, men and women’s fashion show. To understand the context of that. The fashion show was established to, as one of the event’s founders said, “show that we are beautiful.” Up until the 70’s it was observed with family gatherings, food, prayer and songs. Starting in the 70’s it became more about parades and public recognition.

https://juneteenthamarillo.com/

About the name of the park: Bones Hooks was an African American cowboy who was the unofficial “Mayor of the North Side” of Amarillo, and a community leader.

I’d love to see the holiday made into a national holiday.

17 Likes

Full text here:

4 Likes

7 Likes

Yeah I worked a couple of summers for the Texas DOT when I was in college in the late 80s, early 90s, and we always got Juneteenth off. At the time, I didn’t appreciate it. I kind of hated it because none of my friends had the day off, so all I did was just stay home and watch tv. Thankfully, I have become less self absorbed as I’ve aged.

4 Likes

As a black, anti union, pro gun Republican who married a much younger white woman, his voice would probably be shouted down in modern times.

Do you think he’d approve of the modern GOP?

9 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

10 Likes

“Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass” should be on everyone‘s reading list.

4 Likes

Yep. Right along with all the other books they never read anymore.

6 Likes