Plants embedded with nanotechnology to make them glow, and they can be recharged!

Originally published at: Plants embedded with nanotechnology to make them glow, and they can be recharged! | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m glowing, Right Now.

2 Likes

Finally, science has resolved humanity’s most pressing crisis!

3 Likes

I backed an early kickstarter about 8yrs ago where the intention was to create a glowing plant. They changed the plant in question a few times and they were researching what worked and what didn’t. Got a lot of really interesting, super nerdy updates and unfortunately they ran into too many dead ends, setbacks and roadblocks and the project could not be fulfilled but none of the backers were upset because we helped push forward the research into glowing plants :slight_smile: i don’t regret the money i put into it. It makes me really happy to see that there’s been more meaningful advances into it over the years.

3 Likes

Sooooo they created a finely divided phosphorescent powder with mediocre glow-in-the-dark properties, smeared it onto a plant, and now it’s news? Not trying to be a negative-nanny here, but back in elementary school in the 70s we made a phosphorescent pigment as a chemistry event, and I’m pretty sure a good deal of that ended up on the plants in the class room – and the floor, walls, ceiling, light fixtures . . .

The actual experiment was 2 part – making the pigment zinc sulphate, which was very fun, lighting a mixture of zinc and sulphur on fire outisde in the playground, then grinding it up and making a paint (white glue, basically) and painting stuff with it so it would glow later. I bet they don’t do that anymore.

3 Likes

Sure it’s no setie that gets the zoomies or vacuum that performs a tea ceremony, but lit plants are neat. That escritoire could do heating, and the hearth could do healing sub-bass vocalization.

Whatever happened to that plan to extract electricity from plant to power lighting or electronic sensors? That used the garden beds themselves as “batteries”. This was even scaled up to broadacre experiment where crops could capture electricity.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.