Play Dungeons and Dragons for better mental health

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/19/play-dungeons-and-dragons-for-better-mental-health.html

2 Likes

I remember D&D being really good for my mental well-being as an adolescent too. I was definitely an introvert but the game (and later other RPGs) brought me out of my shell like nothing else.

Of course, at the time the usual conservative killjoys – including some therapists – were wringing their hands as they created a lucrative moral panic for themselves in n collusion with the corporate media.

15 Likes

Contributed by Gail Sherman

6 Likes

What about Call of Cthulhu and Paranoia?

11 Likes

Noooooo thank you! We all know how that turned out for Tom Hanks.

4 Likes

Citizen can you expound upon this concern about the game you call Paranoia? Why does the perfect society presented there concern you so much? Please face towards your screen and speak clearly while you reply. Do not be concern about the sounds you hear as no one is screaming.

13 Likes

That movie was one of the things that lured me to D&D in the first place. Yeah, yeah, steam tunnels, some damn fool college kid is possibly dead, whatever … tell me more about that map and the game itself. That looks interesting!

7 Likes
5 Likes

Lining up schedules to play is stressful, after that, sure.

8 Likes

I remember a great Reddit post about DMing in a nursing home.

3 Likes

Good to see some professional confirmation. When I was a young teen in the late 80s a troubled friend of mine was admitted to a youth mental health facility after attempting to end his life and at his request I smuggled him in a basic D&D box set to help him pass the time. He later told me it was a huge help to him and some of the other kids in there and apologized for not returning it as he left it behind with some of the others. I like to imagine it got passed around for years in there as different kids cycled in and out of the place and kept helping them deal with whatever issues they were facing.

10 Likes

Good moment to post this wonderful news:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.