'Play like a girl' should be a term of respect

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/15/play-like-a-girl-should-be.html

7 Likes
If someone “fights like a girl” you should be absolutely terrified of them. Have you ever seen a girl fight? They’ll rip your fucking throat out with their hands while the guys are still doing that weird cobra posturing thing for five minutes
15 Likes

28 Likes

Play like a girl - You mean like be the only Summer Olympian to medal in 6 consecutive summer Olympics?

14 Likes

I’ve never heard “play like a girl” used disparagingly. “Throw like a girl” and “fight like a girl” sure, but not “play.”

2 Likes

41 and still competing as an Olympic gymnast. Pretty amazing given that gymnasts are typically considered washed up by their early 20s.

8 Likes

You’ve never seen the Sandlot?

5 Likes

I guess it’s a sign of my age that “baller” makes my sphincter twitch.

3 Likes

Maybe not all “girls”… (yes I realize the shitstorm that I have likely unleashed by referring to a grown ass woman as a “girl”, and that most actual girls have better sportsmanship than this…)

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2016/08/12/489844686/after-u-s-defeat-goalie-hope-solo-calls-the-swedes-cowards

1 Like
2 Likes

Considering the Canadian women’s medal count so far at the current games compared to the men’s, I’d like to see the men play like women.

5 Likes

(There’s a GIF which is pretty great, but I can’t figure out how to separate it from the tweet.)

2 Likes

I gotcha:

Gifs in tweets get converted into something else (I forget what) and you have to go through some kind of rigmarole to convert them back to gifs again (I looked it up once and the instructions made me go :tired_face:). Pretty annoying when you see something good!

14 Likes

Awesome, I love it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure diving like that is not allowed anymore

I’d book him for simulation and make him stare at a picture of Terry Butcher for ten minutes so he knows what it’s really like to be injured while wearing a white strip.

7 Likes

My sons have been on a club swim team since they were tiny. One of the cool things about swimming is that the boys and girls practice together and have meets together, so they’ve always practiced with and cheered for girls that are as fast as or faster than they are.

The coolest t-shirt I’ve seen at a swim meet said, “Yeah I swim like a girl, and if you were faster you could too.”

10 Likes

Yeah my kid is in archery in school and the boys and girls compete together. (Though they are ranked separately.)

I’ve seen shirts saying basically the same thing, about shooting like a girl.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.