I love watching this chess player crush obnoxious dudes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/03/i-love-watching-this-chess-player-crush-obnoxious-dudes.html

10 Likes

cwaa
Well done the lady!

15 Likes

The second video is what I was hoping for. I love seeing the arsehole hustlers in Washington Square Park taken down a peg.

12 Likes

I really wish people wouldn’t try to make chess into some kind of barometer for intelligence. It’s a game. It’s supposed to be fun. It is fun.

And getting your ass handed to you by a grandmaster is an honor.

20 Likes

Her mom is equally talented and I’ve seen videos of Anna letting her humiliate douchebags as well.

10 Likes

you’d think, but some dudes can’t stand the thought that they got beaten by a “girl” even if that woman is at the top of her game…

16 Likes

To his credit, the second guy did seem to think so at the end of that video.

24 Likes

Yeah, I think the second guy realized his mistakes.

The first one was a jerk from start to finish and I loved that she destroyed him literally mid-trash talk. And then he blamed the audience for not helping him.

12 Likes

He was condescending for sure, but second guy did seem to be really enthusiastic about teaching chess to a supposed beginner. And yeah, his final reaction was great.

12 Likes

These guys were probably tired from having beaten Serena Williams

12 Likes

I found the guy to be a little annoying and sexist certainly, but also fair, smart, and very entertaining. His dynamic instruction was a good refresher for some of my own rusty chess skills. His inability to recognize the situation highlights the value of asking and listening, which he did little of, but I give him points for willingly accepting his loss with no excuses, and his excitement at the possibility of a rematch with a grandmaster.

5 Likes

I’m nowhere near the poker player that these women are chess players, but I have made some money off of guys at the poker table assuming I don’t know what I’m doing. That doesn’t generally last very long, though, but it can be fun.

10 Likes

Seen videos the Botez sisters doing similar. Remember gents, when an attractive young lady comes up and asks you to play, especially when there’s a camera, you’re the one being hustled.

Alternatively, here’s comedian and foosball champ Kelsey Cook taking peoples’ money.

6 Likes

7 Likes

I recall an old Cracked article that advises memorizing a couple of trivial chess openings. No idea how well that works in practice.

4 Likes

One of my favorite writers made more than enough money to pay for her train trip by playing cards with rich, misogynist, condescending old men.

“Does it mean something when the cards have pictures on?”

11 Likes

Honestly, I think that second guy was an unmitigated joy. They presented themselves as being curious, as if the mom didn’t even know how to play at all, and he was open and clear in explaining the overall strategy first (which means he believed her to be intelligent enough to understand strategy). That was someone who loved the game and was thrilled that someone wanted to learn it. He was even more thrilled when she snuck in the checkmate. He’s a good egg.

14 Likes

I never went quite that far with the act, but I would sometimes make a bad call early on in the game. In poker, there’s nothing wrong with a little encouraging of the idea that you don’t know what you’re doing.

5 Likes

Is it a street chess thing that you only need a check to win the game?

3 Likes

I doubt it. I assume that ends the game when the person in check realizes they have no way of saving their king. So they basically acknowledge defeat without going through the motions of finishing the game.

6 Likes