Playable simulations of Covid-19 futures

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/11/playable-simulations-of-covid.html

5 Likes

That was absolutely the most useful site I’ve seen on this topic to date. Fantastic resource, and playing with the simulations makes is so helpful. Thanks for posting this!

8 Likes

restart is fine, if we have a vaccine when we restart.

5 Likes

Nicki Case is one of the finest makers out there using Internet resources to build understanding of complex problems in a straightforward, intuitive way.
All the kudos!

6 Likes

“Covid-19 futures” sounds like something people buy and sell in Chicago

4 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (2)

4 Likes

Has somebody secured our Futures already!?

3 Likes

You betcha.

3 Likes

It won’t be as sweet as frozen orange juice, will it…?

3 Likes

Not for you or me, but some people will make a ton of money from it.

3 Likes

Once upon a time, decades ago (literally) I saw a bumper sticker on a pickup truck in Oklahoma. The bumper sticker read

The state of Oklahoma has managed to screw up literally every oil boom since, but that’s not because we don’t know what we should do when one comes along.

So, back to your declaration

We don’t need a vaccine for the restart.

What we do need is lots and lots and lots of testing. Be more promiscuous with testing than people are with casual social contact. Test random people who aren’t symptomatic. Test random people who have recovered.

And to back up the testing, we need aggressive contact tracing, effective individual quarantines, and (maybe) some targeted, localized lockdowns.

We don’t need a vaccine to beat this (but it sure would be nice!), we need informed citizens who aren’t susceptible to mis- and dis-information campaigns, as well as leaders who aren’t actively contemptuous of science.

3 Likes

I’ve already done this. This is old news.

I mean who hasn’t played Horizon Zero Dawn?

It was covid that wiped out the humans and allowed robots to evolve right?

right.

vaccine please.

vaccine please

And the response from conservatives like Donnie:

money_please

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.