Playing an LP recording of bird sounds using a bird skull as a needle

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/11/playing-an-lp-recording-of-bir.html

2 Likes

I suppose it’s better than using a human skull as a speaker cabinet.

8 Likes

Luckily we appreciate morbid here!

7 Likes

I’ve always found that bird skulls really bring out the warmth of a recording. None of the hairy, milky overtones you get with mammal skulls.

10 Likes

For $30 you could compare…

1 Like

Prior art:

26 Likes

As a kid, I built my own stylus by rolling a piece of construction paper into a cone shape and taping a pin to the small end. Basically a “roll your own” victrola.

You can pretty much turn anything into an adhoc stylus as long as you have a pointy tip that can fit in between the grooves along with a medium to amplify the vibrations.

3 Likes

There’s something wonderfully necromantic about this thing.

As a kid i saw a documentary about Papua New Guinea. Messages were carried to the highlands on records and played using the method you described – a cone of paper and a pin. no electricity required. My guess is that this was because it was a non-literate society.

1 Like

I think the only thing that would have improved it would be if the bird sounds matched the skull, but considering this was a seagull skull, it maybe for the best that it didn’t.

1 Like

It’s a living!

3 Likes

Dinosaur skull acoustics!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.