PlayStation 5 announced and detailed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/08/playstation-5-announced-and-de.html

4 Likes

Goddammit are you telling me I have to buy Destiny again

7 Likes

12 Likes

Oh boy, a new Playstation. Hope there’s another “historically accurate” Giant Enemy Crab involved somehow…

“During the presentation, Sony spokesperson was quoted as saying that the game plot was based on the actual history of Japan, just as a giant enemy crab character appeared onscreen in the demo footage.”

About 1 min into the first video on that page, if you’re interested :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We used to get console updates when there was a good reason. For example: 8 bit to 16 bit or a transition to CD based media. Now we get them with mild speed bumps and controller gimmicks that could just as easily be implemented on older hardware. Meanwhile AAA game development is only getting more expensive while the games themselves aren’t necessarily getting any more fun or different, just slightly better looking? VR was supposed to be the next big thing and so far it’s yet again proving not to be.

Nintendo has the right idea here - maximize accessibility for both players and developers. The rest will follow.

12 Likes

Even the list of exclusives has dwindled substantially.

2 Likes

Oblig, feel free to update for PS5

2 Likes

Homeworld 3 PS5 exclusive confirmed. Suck it Epic!

:slight_smile:

edit: Was it the PS3 or 4 that had the banana shaped controller that looked very much like the Alien movie’s Alien ship (whoever the big guys that got infected were, nanana prometheus doesn’t exist nanana). Someone at Sony’s dev kit department definitely likes space ships.

1 Like

Even the list of exclusives has dwindled substantially.

I borrowed a PS3 to play MGS4 years ago. I imagine one day I’ll do the same for the PS4 and Horizon Zero Dawn? Can’t see myself doing it for Kojima Interdimensional Babysitter Reedus9000.

Sony mentioned a while back that PS4 games can be played on the PS5

1 Like

Yeah, Shadowkeep sucked me right in. Wonder how Bungies new alleged multi-year plan for Destiny 2 is compatible with the PS5 launch.

What I wonder is when we’re getting VR support.

I mean, you’d never be competitive in any kind of PVP mode, but it’d sure be a blast to tinker with.

VR Destiny 2 would probably induce a heart attack. Creeping around in gloomy Hive infested tunnels when suddenly thralls attack from the dark could do this to me.

1 Like

Yep. Not to mention the vertigo you’d get from your completely normal double jump abilities.

1 Like

I can’t say, PC Overlord here.
And very sad about H3.
Us “Overlords” will get it eventually, I trust.

1 Like

Well we don’t know the exact specs of the guts here. We do know what kind of guts they’re using, as with the last go round customized versions of AMDs off the shelf GPUs and CPUs. In broad strokes between the architecture your talking double or more the actual processing power. And a move from a 10 year old, underpowered when it was new CPU and limited GPU to a brand new arguably market leading CPU and a full flavored quite well received GPU.

Its a bit like upgrading from an ancient budget Walmart PC to a brand new gaming box. Upgrades in number of bits is a really outdated way of looking at it. As even computers are still at 64-bit, and non Nintendo consoles have been x86-64 based like a PC since at least the last Gen. And pretty much noone is pushing for 128-bit. As far as console bits pretty much ceased to mean a meaningful graphics upgrade somewhere around 32-bit so consoles don’t even market based on it.

But just based on the PC side equivalents its a multi-generation jump in equipment. For what that’s worth.

1 Like

6 Likes

Yep, that’s right, I look just like Fabio.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this though…

1 Like

What if you got both?

1 Like