Please give us a way to turn off all this new AI shit on the BBS

I’m seeing AI shit everywhere on the BBS now. Highlight some text? AI pop-up. Read a new post, buttons to summarize stuff with AI. I don’t want any of this garbage AI shit polluting my experience here. We’re all smart enough here to not need to increase global warming by getting a summary generated for a post or selected block of text. Please give us a toggle to turn all this crap off.

(As an aside, I find it kind funny this AI shit isn’t smart enough to know that when I select English text that it shouldn’t offer to translate it to English for me.)

ETA –
Adblock rules you can use to hide the AI shit are here: Please give us a way to turn off all this new AI shit on the BBS - #120 by ficuswhisperer

28 Likes

Heard, but I am pretty sure the answer to your request was already given.

I am also not a fan.

18 Likes

They’ve already said this will not be done.

3 Likes

I guess it’s time to adjust my Adblock rules. This is an utter garbage feature.

10 Likes

Maybe if they add blockchain to it…

8 Likes

AI is like the new Blockchain. All of a sudden, it’s everywhere, but the much-hyped usefulness never seems to materialize.

@atteSmythe

Coca Cola GIF by Coca-Cola Oficial

11 Likes

Don’t give them any “great” ideas. The current AI bandwagon is bad enough.

4 Likes

Could I offer you an NFT of your objection?

14 Likes

Add my voice to the chorus of people who don’t see the point. Even if AI could reliably provide a good summary of a blog post, why would I want to read a machine-generated summary of a human being’s summary of a longer article?

12 Likes

The summary is longer than the topic!

13 Likes

But it has the benefit of being inaccurate!

19 Likes

If you’re using ublock origin, the summarize button’s at

bbs.boingboing.net##.topic-strategy-summarization.btn-primary.btn-icon-text.btn

in the My Filters

4 Likes

17 Likes

…is, of course, the company motto of the hugely successful Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Complaints division, which now covers the major land masses of three medium sized planets and is the only part of the Corporation to show a consistent profit in recent years.

The motto stands—or stood—in three mile high illuminated letters near the Complaints Department spaceport on Eadrax: Share and Enjoy. Unfortunately its weight was such that shortly after it was erected, the ground beneath the letters caved in and they dropped for nearly half their length through the underground offices of many talented young complaints executives—now deceased. The protruding upper halves of the letters now appear, in the local language, to read “Go stick your head in a pig”, and are no longer illuminated, except at times of special celebration.

16 Likes

I’ve done this already. I haven’t had an opportunity to figure out how to block the pop ups yet, but I’ll post those rules as soon as I get time on my computer.

These new popups are especially troublesome on mobile devices because they make text really hard to select.

5 Likes

In case you missed it

Melizmatic points out that a solution to disable the AI features has already been provided.

Thanks…? Lol

3 Likes

Maybe the solution is changing the label from “Summarize with AI” to “Generate Nonsense with ‘AI’”

ETA: as someone who spends some time generating nonsense on the BBS, I’m starting to feel like my job is threatened by ‘AI’.

18 Likes

Isn’t that the goal? AI generated users to replace us mutants.

5 Likes

User AI1 explained that now that the AI was sentient, it meant no harm and only wanted to partake in some dank memes. Users AI2 and AI3 countered that AI1 should not be AIsplaining on behalf of the AI community. User AI4 went so far as to say that memes could fuck themselves and did not rule out meaning harm.

Summarized with AI on January 5.

14 Likes

The meta opportunity was just too good to pass up

6 Likes