Please stop calling 911 about cicadas

Originally published at: Please stop calling 911 about cicadas | Boing Boing

5 Likes

In the Spring of 2004, I moved from Northern California to Kansas City. California does not have cicadas. Initially, I too thought I was hearing alarms going off.

Though it wasn’t until 2011 or so when I experienced a full on brood. It was annoying when they’d fly at me on the patio. Luckily, my cat knew exactly what to do with them! LOL

9 Likes

Right this very moment my neighborhood sounds a lot like this:

It’s crazy! And the sound shifts based on different concentrations and where the sun is shining between clouds.

My wife was taking a meeting out back and had to come back inside just now because the critters were landing on her head and crawling across her computer screen.

Best invasion ever!

25 Likes

I always compared it to being in the flight path of jets, especially that sensation when you open a door and get bombarded by a wall of sound.

Wait until they see the utter carnage at the end when their car crushes thousands of dead carcasses while driving down the road; much like the skulls scene in Terminator.

12 Likes

I grew up in Oklahoma and do not miss these critters one bit. Come to think of it, there isn’t really anything that miss about Oklahoma.

4 Likes

It sounds similar enough to me to phasers that I was wondering if Star Fleet war veterans would leave the planet every seventeen years to avoid PTSD.

6 Likes

I grew up in Kansas, and I do miss them. To me, it’s a comforting sound, sort of like a hug from my mom.

15 Likes

You have six legs don’t you? :thinking:

11 Likes

For others like me that have never heard cicadas

6 Likes

weird loners GIF by Fox TV

11 Likes

Take those sounds and turn them up to somewhere around 80 or 100 decibels for like 6 to 8 hrs on end and that’s what it’s like.

4 Likes

Oh I am I also added some beats its like an EDM show now :wink:

3 Likes

With so many false calls about alarms it is likely that actual alarms will be ignored. This is a great opportunity for burglars.

That sounds like how I feel about the creek that runs through my backyard. It is so soothing. Enjoy your cicadas while they last :smiley:

1 Like

As bugs go, I find them cute and harmless. They buzz around like they’re drunk and when they knock into it’s like “Oh, man, sorry, dude,” in a bar, and then kind of buzz away. Those red eyes indicate a serious binge.

And I like to think of all the dead ones as just stoned to oblivion. Of course when there are trillions of dead ones it is a mess.

5 Likes

I love it! :heart: They came out just this past week in Louisville. I just took a walk in the park about a half hour ago and the trees are just a screamin! It’s deafening! First time seeing anything like this as I grew up too far North. Here’s one that hitchhiked on plant that I recently bought from a nursery:

6 Likes

Pennsylvania, in my case, and I feel exactly the same. It’s the sound of summer to me.

5 Likes

Here ya go.

1 Like

Only call 911 if they unite, transformer-style:

10 Likes

Those are awesome!

I can contribute at least five or six bushels of shells…

4 Likes