Calling the cops about cicadas probably won't help you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/24/calling-the-cops-about-cicadas-probably-wont-help-you.html

7 Likes

It’s really nothing to worry about…

10 Likes

Sounds of nature are unfortunate?

7 Likes

Cicadas are awesome, never been annoyed by the noise :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Instead of calling human cops on cicadas, you could try calling cicada cops, just be aware that they may take 17 years to respond.

19 Likes

The police may not know what to do about cicadas, but can’t they take a shot at it?

14 Likes

I realize that cops are just the manager when you are outside a retail establishment; but what do people expect the cops to do about it and why would they see them as the logical source of information?

Even if this particular sex pest horde were a state force problem it’s well outside of scope for the cops and a bit on the small side for animal control; with it being down to whether cicadas spread any cool diseases or destroy crop to decide between public health, public works, or local agricultural extension programs.

If you’ve got ‘trillions’ of something you aren’t exactly going to glock your way out of the problem.

5 Likes

This is still America, so it won’t be for lack of trying.

5 Likes

To be fair, when the broods start up, the sound is literally equivalent to jets flying over - constantly. Opening a door is a shocking burst of sound.

But it’s totally fascinating, and only a couple months long. The bigger surprise was the number of times these bungling bugs landed on me gently (without my knowledge) and then launched off me abruptly and noisily - scaring the crap out of me - into my office or home. 🫨

10 Likes

“You coppers won’t get me”
Cicadas, probably.

6 Likes

Drums Eye Roll GIF

3 Likes

You wearing ear plugs?

The African cicada, Brevisana brevis (Homoptera: Cicadidae) produces a calling song with a mean sound pressure level of 106.7 decibels at a distance of 50cm. Two species of North American cicadas, Tibicen walkeri Metcalf and T. resh (Haldman), produce an alarm call with a mean sound pressure level of 105.9 dB(50cm). Brevisana brevis is likely the loudest insect species on record. Cicada songs are species-specific and play a vital role in communication, reproduction, and possibly defense.

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/walker/ufbir/chapters/chapter_24.shtml

From Brood X emergence in the NOVADCMd area three years ago:

“Its call sounds like an alien spaceship landing to me. It’s up in the treetops; it’s very ethereal,” Raupp said, adding that some people think the call sounds like the word “pharaoh.”

“The sound level can reach anywhere from 80 to 100 decibels. That’s the sound of a jet aircraft flying overhead or a lawnmower engine. They are really loud.”

I remember sustained noise for hours at a time during peak mating of Brood X. It was crazy!

3 Likes

No need. Don’t get me wrong, the racket is loud but it’s just a song of nature so ultimately it doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

A Prime cicada joke!

3 Likes

I’m fine with cicadas, these on the other hand…

1 Like

What about these?

4 Likes

Oh my glob, I’ve never heard of this!

Apparently it was featured in the early MST3K episodes too so I’ll have to check my archives for it!

Thank you fellow happy mutant :+1:

3 Likes

I saw it pretty early on as a young kid in the 90s (unrelated to MST3K). The movie is really weird, slow paced, and it’s kind of artsy with interesting shot choices. I haven’t seen it since then but I do think on it really fondly, hope you check it out.

We have the technology…

It’s a matter of when, not if! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, well, Saul Bass. It’s a pity Phase IV didn’t do well enough at the box office, Bass had ideas for a couple of films, but…

1 Like