PM Johnson on the Irish Backstop

You’re a smart woman, ruth but you’re being fed bullshit from a pathological bullshitter.

2 Likes

Citation Needed

9 Likes

A fair point. Harsh, but fair.

3 Likes

The future is a long dark tunnel painted in vantablack.

11 Likes

I’m sorry. This must be awful and frightening for you.

9 Likes

There is already an HRT shortage. I may be forced to go back to the days of ordering it from dodgy sites on the internet. I’m OK for the next month and a half, but I don’t know what happens beyond that.

The worst part is that all my medications are probably classed as amber on the scale, as not having them will affect the quality of my life but won’t actually kill me. This means that they are not a priority for the government to obtain and I would not be surprised if transphobia plays a part in how they are distributed.

ETA: Propanolol is also on the list. I expect that will be rationed for heart problems and people who take it for anti-anxiety (like me) will just have to suffer.

14 Likes
5 Likes

The UK parliament must be Sovereign! Take back control! and other lies…

6 Likes

That sucks. It is way easy to forget (or minimize) how dependant all our welfare is on international trade, due to the way economies are structured anymore. Nationalistic leaders are pretty much required to make it sound as though “we can stand on our own” (MAGA) but I read that as “we probably won’t all die, and I have money enough to assure I will be ok. The rest of you should not have chosen to be poor!” Or we could just accept that humans pretty much require a functioning society to thrive.

8 Likes

It strikes me that it was the same people who will be able to survive in the wake of brexit were the ones that wanted globalized trade in the first place and who most benefited from it (in terms of building up such generational wealth). It’s the world that they forced into being, and now that it’s clear that they are not the only beneficiaries of global markets, they are feverishly trying to walk that shit back, so that only they can benefit from it again.

12 Likes

For what it’s worth- I always had a good experience with InHouse Drug Store when I couldn’t afford to see a Dr & didn’t have a script or insurance. And Canada Drugs was great and affordable when I did; but didn’t have insurance.

6 Likes

I came across this blog yesterday and it makes for depressingly realistic reading as to the likely outcomes of this shitshow.

Perhaps more to the point, what were once dangers, dismissed by Brexiters, are now becoming accepted as irrelevant collateral damage to the overweening objective of Brexit. Sterling doesn’t matter, the constitution doesn’t matter, the economy doesn’t matter, business in general doesn’t matter and small businesses in particular can be sacrificed, Britain’s global reputation doesn’t matter, societal cohesion doesn’t matter.

7 Likes

You’re exactly right. What with all the protectionism and isolationism and xenophobia they’re been promoting, the goal of these posh scumbags is to return the UK not to the status quo ante of 1973 (that’s Corbyn’s delusional dream) but to that of 1930, prior to the National Government: a racist, anti-Semitic, sexist and highly unequal class-stratified society where a genetic lottery determines one’s fate and that of one’s descendants. Rees-Mogg and his ilk are barely hiding that “I’ve got mine, Jack” neo-feudal goal.

8 Likes

I think you are 100 years out. They seem to want to repeal suffrage for the working classes all the way back to before the Reform Act.

10 Likes

That’s what I get for being generous in my assessment. I’m sure they’ll be happy to re-instate something like this, though, since the Tories love their workhouses and debtors’ prisons:

6 Likes

But I bet the DUP’s stirring rendition of “Croppy Lie Down” will win it all SORTS of friends on both sides of the border.

1 Like

With the clearly anti-democratic actions this government has been taking, I think you’re spot on there.

5 Likes

From Boris Johnson’s televised address earlier today:

But if there is one thing that can hold us back in these talks it is the sense in Brussels that MPs may find some way to cancel the referendum.

Or that tomorrow MPs will vote – with Jeremy Corbyn – for yet another pointless delay. I don’t think they will. I hope that they won’t.

But if they do they will plainly chop the legs out from under the UK position and make any further negotiation absolutely impossible.

And so I say, to show our friends in Brussels that we are united in our purpose, MPs should vote with the government against Corbyn’s pointless delay.

I want everybody to know – there are no circumstances in which I will ask Brussels to delay. We are leaving on 31 October, no ifs or buts.

We will not accept any attempt to go back on our promises or scrub that referendum.

That sounds like a promise to defy the law.

If I ever hear another royalist claim that the monarchy is a bulwark against dictatorship, I’m going to vomit.

Unless, that is, Brenda does say “Fuck it, I’m 93, may as well go out with a bang,” and do a John Kerr: I mean, she did swear “to govern the Peoples of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland … according to their respective laws and customs”.

10 Likes

Interestingly, one thing I haven’t seen floated anywhere is the idea that Boris might ask Brenda to withhold royal assent from any bill banning a no-deal Brexit: that would seem more in keeping with his technically-legal-but-violating-decades-of-precedent approach to constitutional niceties than an outright subversion of the rule of law would be.

(Before anyone asks, 1708, Scottish Militia Bill, though George V apparently did mull over withholding asset for the Government of Ireland Act in 1914.)

3 Likes

that’s always something you want to see in a newspaper

15 Likes