Podcaster makes $18,000 a month playing recordings of static

Originally published at: Podcaster makes $18,000 a month playing recordings of static | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Genius.

3 Likes

I wonder what kind of ads play during a “white noise sleep sounds” podcast? Subliminal advertising maybe?

7 Likes

I’m actually kind of surprised they don’t have a special payout category for white noise to adjust for the extended hours of listening vs music while awake.

Also, did he get in on this super early - because it can’t be a gold mine any more if people like us know about it now. But maybe not…checks spotify podcasting app… :thinking:

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m assuming that had to have been the case, as the rush of other people doing the same thing would so overwhelm the market I can’t imagine anyone making any money off it, very quickly. You see the same thing happening with Youtube videos, even when there are significant costs to making the types of videos in question (which producing white noise doesn’t have).

1 Like

Huh - I use a free app from the play store for my white noise machine. Bit surprising people would go to podcasts for just white noise, but understanding using it.

3 Likes

why can’t i think up shit like this?

3 Likes

Looks like your Every L7 Song All At Once All The Time app is ripe for license.

7 Likes

They prob on pay per job, and he sends them out to get a specific sound, like go record this, so there may be 5 of them in different places to get different types of sound, city country , desert wind etc. But i doubt there are 5 full time people working on it.

1 Like

Its artisinal, small-batch, bespoke, curated static white noise.

11 Likes

I really did LOL at that one, that was good.

As opposed to the mass-produced loud shrill white noise from Fox.

1 Like

Actually, his employees are remote. He started white noise six or seven years ago, and has worked his butt off on it. Used to live in DC area which is very expensive, decided to move down to the Florida Keys, and now he’s living a great life on the beach while the rest of us schmucks are in the office or at home. Hardly a van down by the river.

I found a cool foss app on f-droid several years ago called Chroma Doze.

all the different frequencies are color coded, you draw a curve with your finger and the frequencies get louder or quieter according to the curve.

this is like brown noise, like a giant waterfall:

you can save multiple curves and apply an oscillator, too.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.pmarks.chromadoze/

1 Like

I’ve just tried out a couple of the rain “white noise” recordings (rain on tent, and rainstorm). Actually comforting, given the hellish drought we’re in. (Aural nostalgia?)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.