Poland’s bizarre Crooked Forest: what makes these trees bend?

Originally published at: Poland’s bizarre Crooked Forest: what makes these trees bend? - Boing Boing

6 Likes

Usually bends like that are attributed to soil creep, but those trees aren’t on a slope:

So I’m going with artificial manipulation, probably by gnomes.

13 Likes

I’m gonna say gnomes too.

Seems pretty damned obvious.

8 Likes

I lived on a six acre plot of forest in oregon for a few years and there was a small area where about a dozen trees were like this, but bending in different directions …was kind of freaky, but def cool and mysterious

10 Likes

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

4 Likes

Different, but reminds me of these:

5 Likes

Weirdness via Popkin

3 Likes

Uri Geller, obviously.

12 Likes

Andy Goldsworthy. Work in progress.

8 Likes

It’s ultimately a matter of elvish governance.

When a given realm of faerie has a particularly low CPI; even the trees are crooked.

4 Likes

We had a tree like that where I grew up, with one limb bent at a 90 degree angle at knee level. Dad always said it was a Native American marker, pointing to a ford on a nearby river. YMMV.

3 Likes

Republican trees, crooked as hell

2 Likes

Yeah, I was going to suggest they were grown to make boat ribs but then not needed or forgotten about.
You want the grain to be running along the whole length of the rib for strength. This is often done by steaming straight beams and bending and clamping them into position. Live Oak, a type of evergreen oak, has naturally curving branches and have been used historically for boat building. It looks to me like these trees were half cut through at the base as saplings, bent 90 degrees, and then made to grow in a curve.

5 Likes

yes. curious that it’s “forgotten” (hide the source material from others?) but given the localization of affected trees and the location, i’m joining the they were making future boat pieces theory

6 Likes

They’re Entwives. They’re coiled and ready to run and hide once again if the Ents find them.

5 Likes

Phase 1 - Bend the trees
Phase 2 - ?
Phase 3 - Profit

4 Likes

7 Likes

[pedant]I do love it when people say “raises the question,” 'steada improperly using “begs the question.” happy sigh [/pedant]

3 Likes

4 Likes

what makes these trees bend?

Has Uzumaki been seen in the area?

1 Like