Police arrest North Carolina man for distributing voting rights leaflets

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Reason for arrest: resisting arrest.

There is a soviet russia joke buried somewhere ā€¦

24 Likes

Ok, so he was putting leaflets on cars, which is against some local ordinance. The sort of thing people very rarely get cited for, so why is he being arrested? Oh, heā€™s black, and itā€™s North Carolinaā€¦ sigh. Dammit, America.

21 Likes

No, there isnā€™t a hidden joke.

This is far from the first time this has happened. The people who should vote, you see, already know their voting rights. It follows by logic that anybody distributing so-called ā€œvoting rights literatureā€ must be encouraging voter fraud and must be stopped. QED.

6 Likes

How about because he wasnā€™t listening to anything the police told him? If he was actually trying to cooperate, or at least have a two way dialog, then perhaps things wouldnā€™t have escalated. I canā€™t just decide to not pull over when a police officer is behind me with his blue lights flashing, because of someone arbitrary reason I feel I have.

2 Likes

And lets guess what political party he was campaigning for? And lets guess what would happen to a white republican doing the same thing. A few years ago I caught a right wing republican hanging campaign literature on my own and other rural mailboxes. I told the woman to stop, that her actions were illegal. She laughed it off and continued driving around hanging them. I reported it to the post office who said they would ā€œlook into itā€ā€¦guess how that worked.

If a defense fund comes up for this guy I hope it gets posted so we can help him.

10 Likes

He probably wonā€™t need defending. Like peaceful protestors, these folks rarely go to trial, because the DA knows the charges are bogus. They spend a night in jail, and once the message is clear they can go home.

4 Likes

From the video the shirt he was wearing appears to be for Eric Montgomery:

http://www.montgomeryforjudge.com/

I have a sick enjoyment of these jokes, so hereā€™s a try:

ā€œIn American Incestistan, resistance arrests you.ā€

2 Likes

Forget his politics and race, I support the arrest of anyone leaving trash on other peoples property.

That the law is only selectively enforced is another issue.

3 Likes

And there is your fascism.

1 Like

I think the problem here is that if you turn the phrase around you get exactly the same thing.

Itā€™s interesting when ā€œlistenā€ means ā€œsubmit.ā€ Failure to listen is no crime. Failure to demonstrate submissionā€¦ well, thatā€™s often punished most severely.

16 Likes

Itā€™s buried inside a soviet russia joke.

3 Likes

The one thing the cops did not want was to have a conversation with him. They wanted him to roll over and submit, not question. They punished him for that.

10 Likes

In Soviet Russia, arrest resists YOU!

2 Likes

Yo sobakaā€¦

So give me the alternative? How was this suppose to play out if he was breaking an ordinance? The police were just suppose to say, ā€œWeā€™re sorry for bothering you while breaking local laws, we will leave you alone now?ā€ At the point where this video started he wasnā€™t listening, obeying, submitting, or whatever youā€™d like to call it (Iā€™ll call it being a rational adult) to anything the police had to say. What was the alternative outcome in this situation.

Now there have been plenty of videos on BB where police have certainly over stepped their bounds, and Iā€™m all for seeing something done in those situations. But this, here, nope - if he acted this way to me Iā€™d walk away, but then again itā€™s not my job to deal with someone that might be breaking the law.

2 Likes

Make enough things illegal so it is fairly impossible to not transgress some laws. Then enforce the laws with appropriate selectivity. And then there will even be some law-worshippers who will applaud the enforcers because the conduct is ā€œagainst The Lawā€ā€¦

13 Likes

Funnily enough, Iā€™m currently reading Matt Taibbiā€™s The Divide and itā€™s all (well, half) about this. Arresting people for ā€˜obstructing pedestrian trafficā€™ while standing outside their house at 1am.

8 Likes