Police ask cafe near London attack to evacuate, cafe wants 30 minutes so people can eat

Yesterday he had a bomb, today it’s a “fake bomb”

Maybe next month they admit there was no bomb, no vest, no puffy jacket, wouldn’t be the first time

6 Likes

Ive been many times to London if you really want people to vacate just tell them tell there there about to an appalling influx of tourists.

3 Likes

That kills it for me. Have to substitute coleslaw to make it special. :wink:

3 Likes

If we can’t stand by our most cherished sandwiches in times of crisis then the terrorists have already won.

12 Likes

Whilst I support your general sentiment, Jean Charles de Menezes did not run amok stabbing at people. And yes, he had no bomb.

From the Guardian

Witnesses said they saw a man with silver canisters strapped to his chest and holding a ‘machete’ being chased by armed plainclothes officers down Streatham High Road before being shot.

But this is the second recent terrorist incident where there was a false ‘suicide vest’ on someone committing random stabbings.

The guy in Streatham is known to have wanted to be a martyr and wearing a false suicide vest is pretty sure way to achieve that, given the publicity around the previous one on London Bridge.

5 Likes

Don’t bother, if you use coleslaw then it’s not a reuben sandwich. Might as well replace the cheese with lettuce, the Russian dressing with tomato, and the corned beef with bacon.

2 Likes

Yep. Let’s help the terrorists by magnifying the fear out of all proportion.

4 Likes

Nah. What are the police gonna do? Arrest me for not being properly cowed into letting terrorists win.

I fight the war on terror by not letting terrorists dictate what I do.

6 Likes

Indeed. I was attempting to highlight the differences in policing here and stateside.

3 Likes

Right.

You guys do have much less overtly murderous police.

Some guy in a weird vest is much less likely to trigger my fight or flight than seeing a cop walking around stopping people. Cops scare the be bejezes out of me. They can shoot you stone dead under video surveillance with no provocation and the worst that’ll happen for them is they get to be a cop again in a different jurisdiction.

6 Likes

The nice thing about a sandwich is that you can take it with you and eat on the run.

The bomb might possibly be real, or it could be a fake. It could go off, or it could not go off. Being inside a cafe might protect me, or I might be killed or seriously injured.

So 3 uncertain things would all have to go the wrong way for it to have been worth it to not eat my lunch. But if I evacuate there are three immediate and certain downsides. One is I don’t get to finish my lunch. Two I’m obeying a police officer instead of disobeying a police officer which is my usual preference. Third, the terrorists win.

2 Likes

It’s not quite that bad in the UK. There’s a mandatory independent investigation if they shoot anyone, no matter how extenuating the circumstances.

Although, I believe the total number of British police officers convicted of murder in the line of duty stands at zero

As for “the terrorists” winning…

It’s disturbing to see fairly minor local news items like this turned into international news purely because of “terrorist” branding. The only difference between this and a regular knife-wielding crazy is that he chose to do it in Muslim Terrorist drag. When news outlets make it national (let alone international) news, they are explicitly rewarding that choice.

It’s not like 9/11 or the 2005 train bombings, where the media could excuse the lip-smacking tone of their coverage by the scale of the story or the possibility that it’s part of a wider plot. No one is backing these lame-ass knife crime “terrorists”, apart from the news itself.

1 Like

I’m not fully convinced that number should be zero. At times British police do seem to get off lightly - see Jean Charles de Menezes and Ian Tomlinson

Not your average knife-wielding crazy. Convicted terrorist who made clear he wanted to be a martyr released from prison hours earlier who was, apparently, being followed around by an armed response unit. A cynic would ask cui bono? It seems the winners here are those who have a right wing agenda to take away freedoms in the name of security.

ETA: pertinent italics

1 Like

Note to add: if you ask them to make it without the meat, it becomes Kosher (as well as vegetarian)!

1 Like

Having scurried down a street eating a Reuben, I can assure you that it is a less than ideal experience and the dressing inevitably falls down your sleeve.

6 Likes

Heresy. Actually that would probably be tasty. But it is definitely a sandwich I would fall off the vegetarian wagon for.

1 Like