Police ask cafe near London attack to evacuate, cafe wants 30 minutes so people can eat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/03/police-ask-cafe-near-london-at.html

4 Likes

If it is a good Reuben then I will take my chances and stay put.

21 Likes

Why not flee with the Reuben?

15 Likes

It must be savored. Fleeing would upset that.

15 Likes

They’ve got a possible IED vest on them,

And you want me to run outside?

19 Likes

It’s Streatham. Man with IED and machete is probably the fifth scariest thing they’ve seen today

16 Likes
6 Likes

I’m fleeing right now.

9 Likes

If you want to stay open for half-an-hour and you want to put people’s lives in danger, be my guest.

Ok, thank you. When you let their actions disrupt your lives, the terrorists win. Just act like they’re not there.

12 Likes

So it isn’t a good Reuben then.

6 Likes

You want a good Reuben, you gott’a make it yourself. That’s life kids, you want it done right, do it yourself.

8 Likes

“Oi, stiff upper lip, lads. Just going to finish my meal and then I’ll clear out.”

15 Likes

A to go box is the obvious solution.

Or if you already ate half, just carry it out.

(edge case: if you have a half plus a single bite, even if larger then normally polite sized bite, fill your mouth and then proceed to the “if you already ate half” case above)

2 Likes

I’d wager a Reuben would be much more upsetting to one’s constitution than running in panic… or maybe that’s just my fatty liver disease talking.

2 Likes

You have my deepest sympathies.

2 Likes

All of Streatham, as one: “Wot the faak’s a Reuben sandwich?”

12 Likes

Besides delicious?

3 Likes

Not particularly portable. A proper Reuben is the good kind of messy.

3 Likes

I think that for those of you stateside it’s normal to just see another armed police officer but it’s rare here and these are a highly trained rapid response unit (SCO19, i think?) who really don’t fuck around during situations so when they tell you to leave you leave not haggle over an extra 30 minutes!

2 Likes

Especially as other reports note that his IED vest was pretty much a joke and quickly identified as such after he was shot. I know they can’t take chances in case of subsequent issues and associated blowback but sometimes I do think they overreact a little too much, giving the terrorists a minor victory.

5 Likes