Police brutality gag from Bee Movie: "I can't breathe!"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/12/police-brutality-gag-from-bee.html

11 Likes

Meanwhile in Paris, policemen are protesting to keep their right to choke people.

In fact, many sources initially reported that the police unions told the Interior Minister Christophe Castaner that the chokehold saved lives. For some reason, many media outlets have now removed that statement.

Currently, Google still shows results for the exact sentence: https://www.google.com/search?q=police+paris+"The+unions+told+the+minister+the+chokehold+saved+lives"

10 Likes

It’s just another Sunday, on a tired old street
Police have got the choke hold, [oh …] but we just lost the beat

[“We Built this City (on Rock and Roll)”, Bernie Taupin, Martin Page, Dennis Lambert, Peter Wolf, 1985]

Police choke holds are an old problem that’s been in the public consciousness many times, but we still can’t seem to get it right.

5 Likes

predictably, there’s a wikihow illustrating how a white man can choke a black man. apparently it cannot be done the other way 'round. there are several images, but they do not take turns… i’m not going to post the illustration here because it could be distressing.

2 Likes

I’m sure the clip was “suggested” to be fake by the same people who “enhance” blurry photos of the moon landing, and supposed lizard people, and protesters who are secret Antifa agents with magical signal-jamming equipment.

2 Likes

That has to be the best part of that song, which is really weird. Interestingly, there was an article a few years ago that sent me down a rabbit hole of the history of Starship/Jefferson Starship/Jefferson Airplane. It provided some interesting musical archaeology as well as schadenfreude (I’ve always kind of hated Jefferson Airplane).

1 Like

Here’s a much better song (IMO) about the same-ish subject released around the same time:

6 Likes

Come Dancing is a great song, whereas that other one is just white noise that played in 1980’s malls in the background while you shopped.

5 Likes

One of my earliest school memories (I was about 6-7 when it came out) was the Halloween parade in the gym. The soon-to-be popular girls all dressed up as a band and did a boom box lip sync of it. I think they may have also done “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”, which was pretty cool in retrospect. The part I remember most was staring at the wadded up aluminum foil they were using as microphones. Memory is weird.

1 Like

Ah, but as self-appointed forensic pathologists across the internet will tell you “if she was able to speak then she was able to breathe.” Therefore any subsequent death from asphyxiation is purely coincidental to the officer applying a choke hold.

2 Likes

I always liked this one…

We
So tired of all the darkness in our lives
With no more angry words to say can come alive
Get into a car and drive
To the other side

4 Likes

Yeah, they didn’t capture her death in custody. The police cameras were mysteriously not functioning at that moment.

Ray Davies wrote this song in memory of his sister, who bought him his first guitar and then dropped dead of a heart attack while at a dance hall.

1 Like

The Kinks music holds up over time well.

Starship?

4 Likes

Ah, geez… I didn’t know that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.