Officers mock prisoner as they crush him to death: "You shouldn't be able to breathe, you stupid bastard"

Originally published at: Officers mock prisoner as they crush him to death: "You shouldn't be able to breathe, you stupid bastard" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

“I’m not on his lungs, to let him breathe”

Diaphragm

Where was that article that says applicants for the police force are rejected if they are too smart? Goons

29 Likes

This is what evil looks like. Depraved indifference. Sadism. Under other circumstances, the perpetrators would be sentenced to death. Will these sickos be prosecuted?

28 Likes

Suing? Why aren’t they being tried for murder?

34 Likes

Agreed. They should be under arrest right now, especially the one who said, “You shouldn’t be able to breathe, you stupid bastard.”

26 Likes

Oh I’m sure they’ll find an underlying heart condition as root cause or same such

15 Likes

because the grand jury system is completely broken when it comes to cops

The autopsy listed the cause of death as "acute combined drug intoxicationwith meth in his system. But it also listed “asphyxia” as a “contributory cause of death” and ruled it a homicide.
A grand jury looked at this case but decided not to bring criminal charges against the officers

i mean basically they put him through medically unsupervised detox from alcohol and amphetamines and were surprised he became “agitated”. they could have killed him with alcohol withdrawal alone.

but of course, it’s better to kill people then allow them to disturb the peace. ( they arrested him for that and indecency, which generally means peeing in public. because public restrooms are too expensive to pay for while jails and prisons and cops get all the dollars )

28 Likes

14 Likes

I’d have thought that, following the death of Eric Garner, that cops/guards would be more aware of positional asphyxia; or maybe it just gave something to aim for?

10 Likes

I’m afraid of the out-of-sight out-of-mind apathy that could come with not watching these videos, yet I HATE watching these videos (and hate that their existence means the existence of continued problems on a massive scale).

9 Likes

I can’t watch these videos any longer. Why are we surprised to see that jobs which attract people lacking in empathy and with a strong desire to display dominance somehow lead to death and destruction? Why are we so unwilling to adopt the methods of other places that don’t kill the people that they arrest and imprison on a regular basis?

My conclusion (unscientific to be sure) is that we want people that society has deemed to be unimportant to be punished, either legally or wildly illegally. It’s a part of the Judeo-Christian ethos that bad people get punished for their sins, legal or otherwise. So we are fine with the collateral damage to the innocent and guilty alike.

It’s a hell of a way to run a society.

16 Likes

I don’t think that case did more than infinitesimally raise cops’ expected chance of being punished for murder, if that. It took nationwide protests and multimillion dollar lawsuit settlements and years of activity to even get Eric Garner’s murderer fired, let alone punished. He wasn’t indicted, after all.

6 Likes

Yes! More retributive justice to end the cycle of retributive justice. Dehumanize those that dehumanize.

3 Likes

:face_with_monocle: Okay, but this was evil. This was sadism. This did show depraved indifference. Murderers do sometimes get the death penalty in Tennessee, whether you agree with it or not. Regardless, they should be prosecuted. What exactly do you disagree with?

12 Likes

If you think there shouldn’t be police and prison reform, then ask if you would approve your own son/daughter/mother/father/grandparent being treated this way.

If we live in a moral and just society then a prisoner isn’t killed because an officer is having a bad day.

11 Likes

I mean, some sort of punishment would be nice. They should at least lose their jobs. I assume that’s not too dehumanizing for your tastes.

11 Likes

12 Likes

Yep. I’ve seen withdrawal first-hand. The person is basically a shaky, vomiting, hallucinating mess with a temp and blood pressure all over the place. He lived. But this was in an ICU, pumped up on enough phenabarbitol to kill a small horse, and he was in a coma for 2 weeks. Can’t speak for how meth withdraw would have played into it, but I’m sure it didn’t help.

This guy should have been strapped to a gurney for the first week of incarceration with medical care.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, in Washington (I really hope he walked this back, but don’t see that).
Wake the F up, anyone who knows this abuse/murder happens and compromises with it!

8 Likes

Yes, the perpetrators lack said organ.

5 Likes