Officers mock prisoner as they crush him to death: "You shouldn't be able to breathe, you stupid bastard"

I can’t really tell anyone how I feel about this without getting my post flagged and removed. So, take it as given that I disapprove, strenuously.

7 Likes

If…
“The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.”
–attributed to F. Dostoevsky

10 Likes

10 Likes

When you have so many people working as a paid, poorly trained team to kill, it looks like systemic cruelty.

2 Likes

Watch the video, if you can stomach it.

Im good, as a rule I prefer not to watch videos of real people dying.

13 Likes

yeah, it can be really awful.

on this, i’m not sure i agree. arresting someone for non-violent public nuisance crimes and forcing them to detox against their will?

there has to be a better solution.

it’s only going to be a further trauma on top of what they are already dealing with. and they’re more than likely going to be back in the same position again as soon as they’re released.

i suspect if we actually asked drug and alcohol councilors – and involved people living in these situations – we could improve at least some people’s lives and not have to resort to forcing our will on them and locking them in a cage.

and, even if we can’t help every person – is the right solution still to hide them away? because that’s really the point of jail and prison for people like this. so the rest of us can forget they exist, and forget that our style of society has negative outcomes for numerous people.

8 Likes

Blaming cardiac arrest rather than the asphyxiation that caused the heart to stop beating does seem to be a popular way for county coroners to cover up murders committed by police.

16 Likes

Starting to understand the eye for an eye saying on another level now adays

1 Like

What a crazy world it is where we have to suggest that maybe these guys should lose their jobs after killing an inmate in this manner.

9 Likes

“cardiopulmonary arrest” on a death certificate is just worthless bullshit. It is stating that the dead person has no pulse and is not breathing. In other words, dead. So the cause of death for this person was death.

23 Likes

Well, if you believe that addiction/substance use is a disease, that would mean you too are possibly vulnerable. That, of course, is ridiculous, utterly unthinkable. So it must be a moral failing, such that good people such as you or I are not at risk.

Its really too bad we can’t lock cancer patients up too. The world would definitely be less scary.

1 Like

Grand juries are a complete joke. They are just spoon fed by the prosecutor to get the result they want. Where is the vigalante group storming these vermin homes and dragging them down the street. You know the legal system will and the police union and the prosecutor will guard them for their evil misdeeds as well as the ever popular “qualified immunity” card that will be played and upheld by the judge. This is simply just foul. These people do not even deserve any mercy at all. Yet there are those who will back them them fully since they are the police and say they can’t do anything wrong whatsovever despite video evidence to the contrary. The legal system covering their worthless hides is what really sticks in my craw the most.

@jeddak didn’t advocate the death penalty. They pointed out that cops are functionally above the law to which those with less power are held. This wasn’t ambiguous; there was no room for your straw-man misinterpretation.

11 Likes

Which depraved humanity thread did I leave open? There are so many options this days.

Here’s one iteration:

We deal with workforce shortages in my field, too, but we haven’t ever needed to restrict people based on scoring too high on a test…

7 Likes

I know the feeling. A lot of speach censors about here. :face_with_head_bandage:

The immunity claus needs to be shown the door to prevent these psycho’s from evading justice.

The legal recourse to the brutality is broken. Sadistic officers can occasionally be forced out through public opinion; the point of pressure for improvement might be directing that public displeasure at the superiors who accept the falsified, colluded on reports of events with a blind eye.
If the superiors are at risk of losing their jobs, the culture may change.

I don’t think you can really fix the law enforcement by only addressing the killers.

It would be like firing players on a sports team and never addressing the recruiters and trainers and coaches. We should be able to see who their supervisor was, who trained them, who conducted past investigations regarding their behavior. Those people in the middle are far more likely to be responsible than even the police chief.

We need to be seeing those faces on TV right beside the evil assholes, because they train them and instruct them to be evil assholes.

7 Likes

The Derek Chauvin trial will definitely send a clear message to law enforcement officers across the country.

1 Like

umm… yeeaah.
how’s that working again?

(your implied /s not readily apparent, giving benefit of the doubt anyway)

2 Likes