Police confused by bird mimicking their siren

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/13/police-confused-by-bird-mimicking-their-siren.html

4 Likes

I see what you did there.

11 Likes

Professional way? Did they subsequently hire the bird, then?

7 Likes
10 Likes

Re cops in general:

:musical_note: Confusion will be my epitaph… (Greg Lake)

Reminds me of my childhood dog, a beagle named Fred. We lived in a small town in tornado alley that also had a volunteer fire department. Whenever either siren would go off, Fred would match the pitch perfectly. Neighbors joked that the only way they knew the sirens had stopped was when Fred took a breath.

8 Likes

It wasn’t a member of special branch.

But eventually they twigged what the source of the sound was.

11 Likes

It was the flying squad.

8 Likes

They always root out the real culprit.

4 Likes

Special branch, eh?

4 Likes

If their car siren fails, they can always use the bird Flintstones style.

We were at a popular trailhead a few years back and heard a car alarm.
Nope, just the local raven mimicking.

2 Likes

Twice yearly we get migrating mockingbirds for a couple of weeks. They only record and playback short samples, maybe 1-2 seconds, but they play them back in various combinations.

For a couple of years there was one of them I recognized, because he had a huge sample library. IIRC, he had cat meow, eagle screech, 6 flavor car alarm, ambulance siren, police siren, red wing blackbird, two chickadee samples, scrub jay, screaming girl, and many more. His name was Bruce.

Whenever I was out working in the yard, I tried to whistle the mockingjay sound from The Hunger Games because that would’ve been SO cool. But it didn’t take, and after that autumn, I never heard Bruce again. I hope he’s alright and simply found a different place to roost. We’ve hosted a couple of others over the years, but none so talented as Bruce.

13 Likes

Does that mean the bird is going to jail for impersonating a police officer?

Just as well it didn’t imitate the sound of an acorn falling on a car roof.

5 Likes

alternatively:

All Cops Are Baffled

3 Likes

They’ll send that jailbird to Sing Sing where he’ll definitely sing!

1 Like

He’ll be doing bird.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.